• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Hemi install?? Top or Bottom?

Hemi2Much

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some ideas on the best way to install a Hemi if you don't have a lift.
I know it is a very tight fit but can a 426 be dropped in from the top? With or without headers installed?
Has anyone that has done it got any suggestions? In case you don't know it's going in a 1966 Coronet.
I'm not too concerned with the transmission, I can install the trans after the engine is set in place, I hope.

Thanks, JKent

I went from the top without the trans. Was very easy. I have exhaust manifolds. Leave the battery tray out.

Ive done 2
One E body
One B body.
Both stock exhaust and both auto trans. And Power steering

Both from the bottom.
Its tight...but doable.

The B body i did 20 years ago.
Is the car i know own.

Mine is also an automatic transmission. No power steering and 3-piece headers.
I would really like to find a set of stock manifolds but the last factory set I found was at MoParty and the guy wanted $2500 for them.

Either or. I don't understand the foaming about putting them in from the bottom. It's easier to do up the header bolts when doing it on the K-member, that's about it. If you're renewing the front suspension anyway I guess from the bottom works. If you're not I would drop it in I think. Either way lay some carpet on the shock towers. I've probably done about 15-20 installs of 426 Hemis, first one was over 40 years ago. It goes better with manifolds but the headers go okay, just use different extensions and a swivel socket. As above, pull the battery tray out.
What wrecks a good install? Hooker headers that's what, nothing like spending a couple hours installing those POS with their misplaced ports that are out 3/8-1/2" and have them leak. TTI's no problem at all.

IMG_20180628_0011.jpg

injected.JPG

Last edited:
I did it from the top in an E body but I will be going in from the bottom this time.

I helped on a Hemi going in from the bottom on a 69. His engine/k-member/trans carriage was not the best which probably worked against us. He used an engine lift to elevate the front of the car which probably doesn’t work as well as a two post lift. It was really tight between the a-arm/shock towers. Pretty stressful. I think I would do it from the top if my car, but set up right it works from the bottom also. Battery tray absolutely has to come out either way.

Guys Ive put 426 in from bottom with automatics and also with TTI headers. Very tight but with K member mounted

its the best way in my opinion. Just can’t have the torsion bars in during install/ anyone disagree? Or can offer better and easier way to improve bottom installs

Last edited:
The best way? Depends on what equipment and shop space you have available.

That’s what this thread is for.

Yep, I think that pretty much sums it up.

Drop mine and install mine from the top without trans and do the trans from underneath.

IMG_8666.jpg

I'm hoping to get some ideas on the best way to install a Hemi if you don't have a lift.
I know it is a very tight fit but can a 426 be dropped in from the top? With or without headers installed?
Has anyone that has done it got any suggestions? In case you don't know it's going in a 1966 Coronet.
I'm not too concerned with the transmission, I can install the trans after the engine is set in place, I hope.

Thanks, JKent
I did one from the top with the manual transmission and exhaust manifolds. This was in a 66 Coronet. Helps to have two people.

I am putting my K member all loaded with the suspension and the the whole nine yards (tires & wheels) Tuesday.

A friend here on B bodies (Big Bill) is backing me up.... kind of of nervous doing it that way.

My front fenders grill bumpers are off so i will have better access.

The whole body minus all the front components weighs 400 lbs according to my scales on rear wheels and tires..

if all turns out well ... some photos will be coming....
View attachment 1351776View attachment 1351777View attachment 1351785View attachment 1351786
Where did you get that cradle? I'd love to have one but probably wouldn't make much sense to buy one to only use once.

A lot easier with the no fenders....... bolted right up.

used a home made crane some 5/8 square bar stock and special connectors that I make.....

This will support 500lbs or the body weight with rear wheels on rolling jack stands on 2 2x4s.

Worked really well.

This I used to lift the body its self.

hemi day 006.JPG
hemi day 008.JPG
hemi day 009.JPG

Last edited:
Where did you get that cradle? I'd love to have one but probably wouldn't make much sense to buy one to only use once.
started with my home made engine stand that i made several years ago.
3  21 20.jpg
!cid_fd69e062-7c8d-4640-af33-a25ad6cea471.jpg

Last edited:
now i am going to scrap it....... it takes up to much floor space.

To bad you did not live closer.. you could have it...

I have done a 383 from the bottom and it was a piece of cake. I used a lift bar that I bought and it bolted up to where the fenders bolt to. Engine lift hooked onto the bar and that lifted the whole front end. Made a wooden rolling box to hold the QA1 k-member and engine and wheeled it under with trans and dropped the car down on it. Easiest install of an engine I ever did.

Auto Transport Service
Back