• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

I wonder if the vultures have started circling these kids house waiting for the right time to make them an offer that they won't be able to turn down...

I wonder if the vultures have started circling these kids house waiting for the right time to make them an offer that they won't be able to turn down...
We’ve had some offers made at this we’ve turned down some offers at 25 and 27.5k

As terrible as it sounds me and my brother are willing to sell the car (keep reading and I’ll explain) the big catch being is Ben is just such a rare piece of Mopar history to own I mean how many guys can say they own one of these 426 Wedge 4 speed coronets? This one might even be the only one that actually goes publicly for sale but back to the main topic. Me and my brother realize we’re not the best owners for the car we want stuff that we can take out and enjoy and kick in the head without worrying about it and Ben isn’t a car that we’re able to do that in.

We are extremely humble to own the car and are glad we have the chance to bring it to these shows and show it around and we plan to enjoy but we realize that there are people out there that this car would be better with than us

I can understand why you guys would want to sell it for that reason. Just be aware, there are those that will come in, blow smoke up your ***, "We've restored dozens of cars, love the 66-7 body style, we'll take good care of her, etc etc" and 2 days after they buy it, it's on EBAY/BAT for twice the price in reserve

Wonder if you can find a date coded 426 block no more than .030+ and heads before you sell? I don't mean build an engine but have those parts. It might bring some extra money?

I can understand why you guys would want to sell it for that reason. Just be aware, there are those that will come in, blow smoke up your ***, "We've restored dozens of cars, love the 66-7 body style, we'll take good care of her, etc etc" and 2 days after they buy it, it's on EBAY/BAT for twice the price in reserve
We’ve already run into guys trying to lowball and offer crappy trades as well I don’t care if someone buys it to resell it but I’m not giving it away to them my end goal I’d like to come out with another car to play with and a little bit of cash
Wonder if you can find a date coded 426 block no more than .030+ and heads before you sell? I don't mean build an engine but have those parts. It might bring some extra money?
We’ve been looking but aren’t actively talking about looking we know if we go that route people are gonna want big money for a block and other odds and ends

We’ve already run into guys trying to lowball and offer crappy trades as well I don’t care if someone buys it to resell it but I’m not giving it away to them my end goal I’d like to come out with another car to play with and a little bit of cash

We’ve been looking but aren’t actively talking about looking we know if we go that route people are gonna want big money for a block and other odds and ends
This might be a good example of why looking for a date coded motor might not be a good idea..

FOR SALE - 1965 426 street wedge engine

You never know price unless you ask, you can just say no. 426 NON maxi wedge might be easier because piston cost, cheaper do do a 440.

This might be a good example of why looking for a date coded motor might not be a good idea..

FOR SALE - 1965 426 street wedge engine
Can't disagree but there might be someone not out to milkem. eyeroll.JPG

You're best bet then is to spend a few hundred bucks and get it professionally appraised. Someone that can look at the car, verify it in person and write it up as "this is what the car is, this is what is has, and with todays market value it is worth $x,*** to $xx,*** This way you'll know you're not getting ripped off, or turning down a legitimate offer.

You're best bet then is to spend a few hundred bucks and get it professionally appraised. Someone that can look at the car, verify it in person and write it up as "this is what the car is, this is what is has, and with todays market value it is worth $x,*** to $xx,*** This way you'll know you're not getting ripped off, or turning down a legitimate offer.
I have an Uncle that’s been dealing with these cars for years and appraises they on the regular even he doesn’t have a clue what to appraise the car at. He said being the first one in however long to publicly hit the market and the only one that would be available on the current public market with no records of sales it’s gonna be a challenge

We have an idea of where it falls trade wise we’ve had an RO23 4 Speed Belvedere with the Hemi offered as well as a 440-6 4 Speed 70 GTX a 440-6 4 speed 70 Roadrunner Vert and a 70 Roadrunner 440-6 Auto hardtop as well as boot of course all of these cars being in project condition though the only one we did turn down was the automatic one just because I would like to find a stick

Let me get this straight, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this..

You turned down a R023 car, complete with Hemi and not one but 3 6 pack cars, including a 4 speed and a convertible over a car that doesn't have the original drivetrain despite the fact they needed work, over a car with a build sheet that doesn't match the car's VIN tag, (maybe this was straightened out in the post, I'm not gonna go back digging).

Mr Norm cars bring in more money, no doubt. But not as much as you think. I know of the first 68 Hemi 'Bee done up by Mr Norm that was restored to showroom condition in . Fully documented by him and the dealership (long before he passed). But, because it was missing the original drivetrain, it didn't get what it was appraised for not by his uncle, but by the insurance company as well as guys that make a living doing this. Anyone one of those cars would be worth much more when worked on than yours when completed. Unless they had the Hemi in it, or had the name Leno attached to the the title, the 66's were always the bastard stepchild of the B-body world, and always will be and will never garner the money a 68 or up will.

Need proof? Ask your uncle was a 66 440 trim with a bench seat, 383/335 4bbl 4spd with 3.23's goes for, then ask him how much a 68 Road Runner with bench seat, 383/335 4spd with 3.23's goes for and see which one comes out on top.

You turned down a R023 car, complete with Hemi and not one but 3 6 pack cars, including a 4 speed and a convertible over a car that doesn't have the original drivetrain despite the fact they needed work, over a car with a build sheet that doesn't match the car's VIN tag, (maybe this was straightened out in the post, I'm not gonna go back digging).

Mr Norm cars bring in more money, no doubt. But not as much as you think. I know of the first 68 Hemi 'Bee done up by Mr Norm that was restored to showroom condition in . Fully documented by him and the dealership (long before he passed). But, because it was missing the original drivetrain, it didn't get what it was appraised for not by his uncle, but by the insurance company as well as guys that make a living doing this. Anyone one of those cars would be worth much more when worked on than yours when completed. Unless they had the Hemi in it, or had the name Leno attached to the the title, the 66's were always the bastard stepchild of the B-body world, and always will be and will never garner the money a 68 or up will.

Need proof? Ask your uncle was a 66 440 trim with a bench seat, 383/335 4bbl 4spd with 3.23's goes for, then ask him how much a 68 Road Runner with bench seat, 383/335 4spd with 3.23's goes for and see which one comes out on top.
The RO car wasn’t turned down there’s was a little bit of a complication on that one between the 2 co owners that prevented it

The 70 GTX and the 70 Ragtop 6 pack cars we also haven’t said no to either we’re just waiting to get some more info on them

The only 6 pack car we said no to was the Hardtop Roadrunner because it was a column automatic car and only had a 400 in it kinda killing off the cool factor

We know 66-67s are the Bastard child that’s why me and my brother own a couple of them because we could afford them

There we go. Free opinions and appraisals online!

I agree and he should have taken the money.

Maybe we should’ve taken the money maybe not we’ve got a cash price in mind and when the time comes either it will or it won’t sell and we’ll come off the price we’ve got some room set where there can be negotiations done as well

At the end of the day though this still isn’t a normal 66 Dodge either this is the Only Mr Norm 66 Street Ram that will be available to the public market sure it needs a couple things but to the right collector the car could fetch 100k when someone else finishes it up that just won’t be us we’re gonna enjoy the car and show it off in it’s true survivor state until

Good luck in your quest... if you think that worth $100K, then all those cars you turned down are worth 3-4X that much in their condition. You gonna be enjoying that "survivor" for quite a loooong time.

Good luck in your quest... if you think that worth $100K, then all those cars you turned down are worth 3-4X that much in their condition. You gonna be enjoying that "survivor" for quite a loooong time.
Again I didn’t say the car is worth 100k I said maybe it could fetch 100k when someone else finishes it up you seem to be looking at the car as another normal 66 Dodge and it’s been confirmed to not be that there’s less of these cars to exist than Hemi cars/Super Stock cars/6 pack cars etc etc.

And yes the car is a survivor it’s in an unmolested unchanged state and has been the same way since the early 1970s

I hate to rag on you but you need to stop calling it a survivor since it’s missing its original drivetrain, interior, and it appears that it’s not got its original paint. As far as value, in my opinion I would guess that it would be worth a little more than a 383 Coronet and far less than a Hemi Coronet. I understand that it’s a Mr Norms car but I’m not sure that it increases the value by 100% just because he put a 426 Street Wedge in it and actually the value of it should be about the same as a ‘65 Coronet with a 426 Street Wedge in it plus a little added in because it’s a Mr Norm’s car.

I hate to rag on you but you need to stop calling it a survivor since it’s missing its original drivetrain, interior, and it appears that it’s not got its original paint. As far as value, in my opinion I would guess that it would be worth a little more than a 383 Coronet and far less than a Hemi Coronet. I understand that it’s a Mr Norms car but I’m not sure that it increases the value by 100% just because he put a 426 Street Wedge in it and actually the value of it should be about the same as a ‘65 Coronet with a 426 Street Wedge in it plus a little added in because it’s a Mr Norm’s car.
A survivor car is one that’s been in its same condition since it’s hey day this car has been exactly this way since the early 70s the RTS Cuda is a survivor car

It can’t be valued along the lines of a 65 426 car and either since there’s more of those that exist it’s a different car entirely

I’m not gonna try to put a value on it on this forum right now especially since it isn’t for sale like I said earlier when we post it for sale it will sell/trade it it won’t it’s as simple as that

I don’t see what’s so wrong with us trying to cash out on it while we’ve got it considering that’s what everyone else would be trying to do if they owned it

Auto Transport Service
Back