• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

"Only racing mods done"?
What about the radiused out rear wheel opening? Does the original owner know when the rear quarters were cut out for big tires? He the one that did it?
The original owner didn’t radius them when his uncle got the car he cut them out he’s also the same one that cut the whole in the hood and painted the car purple

What you have, Bryon, is a neat car of which you can probably count on one hand, the number that exist. Both hands, the number that were likely built in the 1966MY. To me, as a fellow '66 Coronet owner, it should be either restored with a build-date-coded 426W engine to an as-built factory state, or restored to the Day Two racing configuration that is current in. Either way, you're gonna have one-of-very-damned-few, and it'll be yours to enjoy as you see fit. Have fun with it! That's what they are there for!!!

I'm happy there are 19-year-old guys like you out there that appreciate these cars. There is hope!

For anybody that was wondering how the car was running/driving me and my brother took it on a quick trip around our hill here just on Monday you’ll have to skip ahead in the video about half of it was just me running the video up to that 10 minute mark

Feel Free to gut me for reviving a now older thread but man was this one to look back through its interesting to see what we were speculating back then compared to what we have found out ill assume many people by now have seen either mine and my brothers MULTIPLE videos on Ben or that you've possible watched the Uncle Tonys Garage video on it maybe now that we know just about everything ill actually make cliff notes for people to follow along and MAYBE on the very slight possibility we can bring a few more of these cars to the light if they still exist

with our '66 Chargers side by side in the gas station parking lot, 1975, the guy was adamant that his Charger was a 426 and 100% original. He opened the hood and it was the right color. I still believe him. When ordering a car, there would be some who wanted the tried and true Wedge over the new fangled "Hemi".

One thing about living in the boonies, a dealer in a town of two hundred could be coaxed into checking whatever boxes you knew about. Heard many stories of people driving to Phillip SD where a Ford dealer was more accommodating than the big town dealership 60 miles away.

with our '66 Chargers side by side in the gas station parking lot, 1975, the guy was adamant that his Charger was a 426 and 100% original. He opened the hood and it was the right color. I still believe him. When ordering a car, there would be some who wanted the tried and true Wedge over the new fangled "Hemi".

One thing about living in the boonies, a dealer in a town of two hundred could be coaxed into checking whatever boxes you knew about. Heard many stories of people driving to Phillip SD where a Ford dealer was more accommodating than the big town dealership 60 miles away.
I can see the Coronets being built with the leftover 426 wedge, the problem with a Charger getting one would be that the Charger was such a late addition to the 66 Model year. Not saying it didn’t happen, but it seems less likely than the Coronet scenario

I can see the Coronets being built with the leftover 426 wedge, the problem with a Charger getting one would be that the Charger was such a late addition to the 66 Model year. Not saying it didn’t happen, but it seems less likely than the Coronet scenario
I agree, it was introduced on January 1st 1966. Nothing shows up in documentations showing its availability. Could someone have ordered a 318 and got the dealer to install a 426 wedge, possibly.
A guy ordered an AA1 black interior 318 67 Charger for his wife for her birthday.He brought it home, she said I hate it I want red. The car was painted PP1 door jambs engine bay, everything , before she drove it. I bought it from their daughter’ husband. The car is still in the City. Registered with the Dodge Charger Registry.

I wouldn't say "leftover 426 Wedge" engines; but rather, they were indeed available, but just not publicized at all. I've never subscribed to the belief of "leftover parts" because parts that were still on the line, especially if they were not for the coming models to be built on the line, were simply put into the Chrysler parts system for use as warranty replacement parts as well as over-the-counter sales. Corporate bean-counters would never have put up with the inefficiency and budget problems that "leftover parts'" would bring! The 426 Hemi was highly publicized for 1966, of course. If you had the customer that said "Damn, I'd love the Hemi in my new Coronet/Charger, but I don't have the $$$ to afford that!", the savvy and knowledgeable salesman would say "Hey, I know it's not in the brochure, but we can get you a 426 Wedge engine for the cost of a 383!"...I believe that is the overall scenario that put the 426W in a few Coronets and even fewer Chargers for MY1966. Certainly, a dealer-installed 426W would likely have been the likely outcome for the Charger, given the car's mid-year release date.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say "leftover 426 Wedge" engines; but rather, they were indeed available, but just not publicized at all. I've never subscribed to the belief of "leftover parts" because parts that were still on the line, especially if they were not for the coming models to be built on the line, were simply put into the Chrysler parts system for use as warranty replacement parts as well as over-the-counter sales. Corporate bean-counters would never have put up with the inefficiency and budget problems that "leftover parts'" would bring! The 426 Hemi was highly publicized for 1966, of course. If you had the customer that said "Damn, I'd love the Hemi in my new Coronet/Charger, but I don't have the $$$ to afford that!", the savvy and knowledgeable salesman would say "Hey, I know it's not in the brochure, but we can get you a 426 Wedge engine for the cost of a 383!"...I believe that is the overall scenario that put the 426W in a few Coronets and even fewer Chargers for MY1966. Certainly, a dealer-installed 426W would likely have been the likely outcome for the Charger, given the car's mid-year release date.
Interestingly enough what we learned is they were stuffing the 426 Wedges in the cars as a backup plan incase the street Hemi failed to take off in which case these wedge cars still had a 426 C.I. Motor and spotted an H in the VIN so by all accounts it would make a 426 C.I. Engine eligible to run in NASCAR from how we found out this car wasn’t something that someone walked off the streets and into Norms dealership and went “hey I want that”

I'd suggest putting it in the For Sale section where comments won't be allowed.
I’d honestly like to but it did say an asking price is required and really we’ve still never got a clue where to start start too high it’ll drive people away start too low and you screw yourself

I’d honestly like to but it did say an asking price is required and really we’ve still never got a clue where to start start too high it’ll drive people away start too low and you screw yourself
Throw out a number then you can always add OBO after it.....posting an ad in any section other than the classifieds will get it removed every time we find one.....no matter how subtle it is.

Throw out a number then you can always add OBO after it.....posting an ad in any section other than the classifieds will get it removed every time we find one.....no matter how subtle it is.
People tend to forget what OBO means nowadays I mean I can throw out 100k as a price tag which obviously isn’t what I’m expecting to get out of the car but even the rules of the forum said that it has to be “reasonable”

People tend to forget what OBO means nowadays I mean I can throw out 100k as a price tag which obviously isn’t what I’m expecting to get out of the car but even the rules of the forum said that it has to be “reasonable”
It's been awhile since I've read the rules for the classifieds but I don't remember it saying list a reasonable price...

It's been awhile since I've read the rules for the classifieds but I don't remember it saying list a reasonable price...
I was gonna pull a screenshot of the rules but I guess where I agreed to them it didn’t flash up again

I was gonna pull a screenshot of the rules but I guess where I agreed to them it didn’t flash up again
I just read them and it says you have to post a price....but nothing saying you have to post a reasonable price. I mean who's to dictate what a reasonable price is anyways? :)

I just read them and it says you have to post a price....but nothing saying you have to post a reasonable price. I mean who's to dictate what a reasonable price is anyways? :)
If I had a price guide to go off of for this thing I’d be more than happy to try and follow others

But what do you do when one hasn’t ever been publicly sold

If I had a price guide to go off of for this thing I’d be more than happy to try and follow others

But what do you do when one hasn’t ever been publicly sold
Dart board it? :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back