• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

A survivor car is one that’s been in its same condition since it’s hey day this car has been exactly this way since the early 70s the RTS Cuda is a survivor car

It can’t be valued along the lines of a 65 426 car and either since there’s more of those that exist it’s a different car entirely

I’m not gonna try to put a value on it on this forum right now especially since it isn’t for sale like I said earlier when we post it for sale it will sell/trade it it won’t it’s as simple as that

I don’t see what’s so wrong with us trying to cash out on it while we’ve got it considering that’s what everyone else would be trying to do if they owned it
You need to look up the definition of a “Survivor Car” and this was copied directly from google.

“A survivor vehicle is a classic vehicle that has not been altered in any way since it was built.” Generally, most agree that survivor cars — and survivor trucks and survivor motorcycles — must have the original paint job, original interior, and parts.

Also I don’t think anyone has issues with you guys “cashing out on it”.

You need to look up the definition of a “Survivor Car” and this was copied directly from google.

“A survivor vehicle is a classic vehicle that has not been altered in any way since it was built.” Generally, most agree that survivor cars — and survivor trucks and survivor motorcycles — must have the original paint job, original interior, and parts.

Also I don’t think anyone has issues with you guys “cashing out on it”.
Agree to disagree on the definition of a survivor that would make a car such as the RTS Cuda not a survivor even though it clearly is a survivor

The RTS 'Cuda was customized right off the bat. It was built in Los Angeles, then shipped to Detroit where a shop was commissioned by Plymouth to modify it for the Plymouth RTS tour. I was just watching the YT video about that car yesterday. I could absolutely consider that to be a "survivor car" in the sense it was a custom job almost from the minute it rolled off the transporter in Detroit.. Yes, it was red initially off the line, then painted green, then orange/yellow...BUT...it has remained the same as it is today, from 1971 on.

The Coronet can't be considered a true "survivor". It was partially stripped out, had a lot or racing mods done to it, had much of the original parts lost, and raced for five years, if I've understood your videos on the car correctly. Yes, it has survived nearly 60 years as a car, but not as how it was built.

I wouldn't call my own '66 Coronet 500 a "survivor", either, for several reasons. It's had two complete paint jobs (1974 and 1985). The original 361 has been overhauled to 383 specs, and retains the original heads, but has 1969 exhaust manifolds and an MP intake. The seat upholstery has been replaced (rear seat 1982 and 1992; front seat covers 2001). Even though, at first glance, you might think it is a survivor, but it's far from that.

A lot of 66 and 67 B Bodies have the rear fenders cut out to clear big drag tires. But they did NOT come that way from the factory. That was an alteration, no matter how long ago it was done. Look at all the RO and WO drag car pictures. Sox and Martin cars, etc. You don't see the cut out 1/4s on those.

Agree to disagree on the definition of a survivor that would make a car such as the RTS Cuda not a survivor even though it clearly is a survivor
If you disagree with me and others find us a definition of Survivor that fits the condition of your car.

The RTS 'Cuda was customized right off the bat. It was built in Los Angeles, then shipped to Detroit where a shop was commissioned by Plymouth to modify it for the Plymouth RTS tour. I was just watching the YT video about that car yesterday. I could absolutely consider that to be a "survivor car" in the sense it was a custom job almost from the minute it rolled off the transporter in Detroit.. Yes, it was red initially off the line, then painted green, then orange/yellow...BUT...it has remained the same as it is today, from 1971 on.

The Coronet can't be considered a true "survivor". It was partially stripped out, had a lot or racing mods done to it, had much of the original parts lost, and raced for five years, if I've understood your videos on the car correctly. Yes, it has survived nearly 60 years as a car, but not as how it was built.

I wouldn't call my own '66 Coronet 500 a "survivor", either, for several reasons. It's had two complete paint jobs (1974 and 1985). The original 361 has been overhauled to 383 specs, and retains the original heads, but has 1969 exhaust manifolds and an MP intake. The seat upholstery has been replaced (rear seat 1982 and 1992; front seat covers 2001). Even though, at first glance, you might think it is a survivor, but it's far from that.
If we stick by the definition that it has to be a “factory paint job” that would eliminate the RTS Cuda sure Bens not a survivor in the sense of “Original” but a Day 2 survivor which the RTS Cuda would also fall into considering it’s been modified as well it didn’t roll off the assembly line with the paintjob or the body kit

It is not a survivor as per standard definition. It is however DAMN COOL that is survived in the state it is in.

Cool car. Cool story. Don’t get hung up on values or names. It’s simply really cool history.

A lot of 66 and 67 B Bodies have the rear fenders cut out to clear big drag tires. But they did NOT come that way from the factory. That was an alteration, no matter how long ago it was done. Look at all the RO and WO drag car pictures. Sox and Martin cars, etc. You don't see the cut out 1/4s on those.
It is not a survivor as per standard definition. It is however DAMN COOL that is survived in the state it is in.

Cool car. Cool story. Don’t get hung up on values or names. It’s simply really cool history.
I couldn’t get the top quote to go away but again the RTS Cuda didn’t come with that body kit from the factory

Onto the second quote the one I meant to respond to I agree it’s not the standard definition of a survivor at all and we also think it’s cool it’s stayed this way for as long as it had the History has been the coolest part of owning the car learning all the stuff that would go on in the background or behind peoples backs that just flew under the radar all these years later

I had heard of factory 426W Coronets back in the early 1980s. I was not aware of your car (Illinois), but I did hear rumors way back when of a black '66 Coronet 426W hardtop (unknown if 440 or 500) in Colorado that had been raced for several years in Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming and then stuck away somewhere, never to be seen again. You have the only one known to exist in 2023, four speed or automatic. Perhaps only a few were actually built. Perhaps you have one of only one or two legit '66 426W cars built, period. Whatever, you have a car that is deserving of a full restoration; either to be a showroom stunner, or a Day Two race car.

Of course the RTS 'Cuda didn't come that way from the factory with that "body kit" - Hint: That is NOT a "body kit". It was built by professional customizers, by hand, with metal, not 'glass! And yes, I consider that a "survivor" for the reasons I've mentioned above. It sat for over 40 years - stored, untouched, and unchanged from its days as the RTS show car.

Last edited:
I had heard of factory 426W Coronets back in the early 1980s. I was not aware of your car (Illinois), but I did hear rumors way back when of a black '66 Coronet 426W hardtop (unknown if 440 or 500) in Colorado that had been raced for several years in Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming and then stuck away somewhere, never to be seen again. You have the only one known to exist in 2023, four speed or automatic. Perhaps only a few were actually built. Perhaps you have one of only one or two legit '66 426W cars built, period. Whatever, you have a car that is deserving of a full restoration; either to be a showroom stunner, or a Day Two race car.

Of course the RTS 'Cuda didn't come that way from the factory with that "body kit" - Hint: That is NOT a "body kit". It was built by professional customizers, by hand, with metal, not 'glass! And yes, I consider that a "survivor" for the reasons I've mentioned above. It sat for over 40 years - stored, untouched, and unchanged from its days as the RTS show car.
An interesting bit is all of the street rams that were supposed to have been made were all Bench seat 4 speed cars with little to no options

And sure it might have all been hand fabbed but by todays standards anything of the RTS Cudas custom body stuff is considered a body kit like the S10 Xtreme and some of those again the difference being the S10 was produced on a much wider scale unlike the RTS Cuda a lot of body kits are/were hand made but are just got mass produced

Last edited:
To me, it being a Mr norms car adds zero.
The fact that it should never have been produced is the clincher. Trying to compare it to a 383 car is literally retarded lol.
Call it a survivor or whatever you want! There's nothing being hidden when there's pictures. I accidentally snagged this at a swap meet
20230414_120917.jpg

Let me say I'm not "dissing" the OP"s car...but...

I don't think you can use the one of one factory custom RTS 'Cuda as a comparison.
If you stop doing that, things will be easier.

Also, I agree the car does not fit the normally accepted definition of "survivor" or "unmolested".

it is, however a very cool car with an interesting if not unique history.

I would (If it were me) use other Mr Norm converted cars as my "comps", even if your car is the rarest of those secondary market conversions.
Fortunately those exist and the specifics and process are at least somewhat documented, and values somewhat established.

Also, unfortunately as you've seen here, you have an uphill battle concerning that provenance until such a time as at least one more car of this configuration is presented to the public.

To me, it being a Mr norms car adds zero.
The fact that it should never have been produced is the clincher. Trying to compare it to a 383 car is literally retarded lol.
Call it a survivor or whatever you want! There's nothing being hidden when there's pictures. I accidentally snagged this at a swap meetView attachment 1452259
I bought that same Car Craft Issue after learning! About the ad in it!

Let me say I'm not "dissing" the OP"s car...but...

I don't think you can use the one of one factory custom RTS 'Cuda as a comparison.
If you stop doing that, things will be easier.

Also, I agree the car does not fit the normally accepted definition of "survivor" or "unmolested".

it is, however a very cool car with an interesting if not unique history.

I would (If it were me) use other Mr Norm converted cars as my "comps", even if your car is the rarest of those secondary market conversions.
Fortunately those exist and the specifics and process are at least somewhat documented, and values somewhat established.

Also, unfortunately as you've seen here, you have an uphill battle concerning that provenance until such a time as at least one more car of this configuration is presented to the public.
I’m pointing out you can’t call a car like the RTS Cuda a Survivor and not say one like Ben is a survivor they’re Day 2 Survivors

We’ve been looking at other Norm cars for price ideas and that’s helped us figure out where we sit on it between the trades plus the boot they offered as well even with the RO car which would have been taken up but that whole deal got complicated the only catch if we do any trading around is we’re not interested in trading for a 318 car or something like that

As far as the uphill battle we’ve had one since we got the car and were trying to prove it as what it is at this point we’ve collected dealer ads documentation we possess the build sheet we’ve had the original owners story of when he bought the car I explicitly try to make sure people know there’s supposed to be 1 other besides Ben that has been seen and a 3rd one Rumored but Ben is the only one that will be publicly available

Last edited:
Just as a Nickey or Yenko connection can enhance the value of a Chev, or a Tasca or Shelby provenance do the same for a Ford, I would imagine a Mr. Norm connection should do the same for this Dodge. I believe this has happened in the past with GSS Darts that Mr. Norm has breathed on.

Actually our car hasn’t been changed much, the interior is still original, yes shocking (original owner helped us figure that out) only racing mods done are the hole on the hood and the fuel pump in the trunk, and the original motor and shift handle has been replaced.

THAT BEING SAID.

I don’t believe our car is a day 1 survivor being as it has been repainted and motor swapped, that also being said I believe it is a day 2 survivor. It is in the same shape if was customized to back in the 70s, same paint and all just stickers for the “Gentle Ben” removed. I do believe this adds value, while it may not hold the name like the Big Willie Daytona that was sold, recently, that car did not retain its original day two factor, making it worth less. The car was redone to original and then attempted to be put back in day 2 specs. Ours still retains all of its day 2 specs so I do agree, THIS IS NOT A DAY 1 SURVIVOR, this is a day 2 survivor car. Just my peace of mind, but I see what you’re saying.

Actually our car hasn’t been changed much, the interior is still original, yes shocking (original owner helped us figure that out) only racing mods done are the hole on the hood and the fuel pump in the trunk, and the original motor and shift handle has been replaced.

THAT BEING SAID.

I don’t believe our car is a day 1 survivor being as it has been repainted and motor swapped, that also being said I believe it is a day 2 survivor. It is in the same shape if was customized to back in the 70s, same paint and all just stickers for the “Gentle Ben” removed. I do believe this adds value, while it may not hold the name like the Big Willie Daytona that was sold, recently, that car did not retain its original day two factor, making it worth less. The car was redone to original and then attempted to be put back in day 2 specs. Ours still retains all of its day 2 specs so I do agree, THIS IS NOT A DAY 1 SURVIVOR, this is a day 2 survivor car. Just my peace of mind, but I see what you’re saying.
"Only racing mods done"?
What about the radiused out rear wheel opening? Does the original owner know when the rear quarters were cut out for big tires? He the one that did it?

There may be a small number of mods, but they are serious mods.

There may be a small number of mods, but they are serious mods.
Not really it’s cut quarter panels and we already have patches for them. Are we ever gonna use them on the car? No it’s not like someone’s put a cage in it or did a tube chassis those are serious mods

The only thing we don’t have is a new hood for it which to be fair isn’t hard to get at all

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back