• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 6-Pack in 66 Charger; Will it fit under stock hood?

hurmit4life

Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
Hey, All-

Just a quick question on the fitment of a 440 six-pack under the stock hood of a 66 Charger; will it fit without modifying the hood?

I pulled the 383 out of it (4 barrel Holley on stock cast iron intake), but I've got a stout 440 with the Edelbrock six-pack manifold and kit just waiting to go into a car, so that's what I want to put in it for a while.

After looking at the motor with the six-pack setup on it, I think it sits just a bit higher than the 4-barrel setup. :head_smack:

FYI: this is the setup a person can buy from various catalogs (Jegs, Year One, etc). "Everything you need in one kit" kind of a deal.

Will I need to modify the hood? I'd much rather retain the stock looking hood without a scoop, as it will eventually have the 383 back in it. (I know it fit before, so it should fit after) If I need to modify the hood, I'd much rather do it while I am in the process of doing bodywork.

Thoughts? Someone out there must have done this to their 66 / 67 Charger or Coronet or other B-body.

Big Sexy Motor.jpg

I tried several intakes, one of which is an iron six pack setup on my 66 Belvedere and it fits with the factory air cleaner. If that's any indication.

Auto Transport Service
Back