• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 - coolant running out of exhaust bolts

josephqatarcarguy

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
hey lads, while pulling the headers to swap out my started - removed the header bolt and coolant came rushing off -is this normal?
no leaks - engine oil is the right color( not mixing ) - no temperature issue etc i have read this is normal?

Screenshot_20230510_113627_Photos.jpg

Yep. Very common. The bolts holes for the exhaust go into the coolant passages.
Drain the coolant enough so it's not leaking. Get the coolant cleaned up in the threads. When reinstalling header bolts, use Teflon tape or something to make them water tight.

i know people who scraped a big block chrysler because they thought it was cracked when coolant came out of the exhaust stud holes!

Joseph, all of the exhaust bolts / studs will need sealed.
Like posted above a good high temp thread sealant is the way to go.

Yep. Very common. The bolts holes for the exhaust go into the coolant passages.
Drain the coolant enough so it's not leaking. Get the coolant cleaned up in the threads. When reinstalling header bolts, use Teflon tape or something to make them water tight.
I used permatex ptfe, on all studs just in case, no leaks.

Depending on your header configuration, you can use studs on all holes except #1 inner

Auto Transport Service
Back