• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 engine junk, burned by a member here.

I can sympathise somewhat, but I gotta ask. How is everything ruined?? I broke a rocker this summer. I needed a rocker, lol. You said everything is toast besides the rods... why is that? You sure aren't going to have 6k in prepping another core block, and if you don't like that crank, a new one is $700. What else is ruined?

BTW, my wife prolly wants me to sell everything too, but who's listening to her?
:bananadance:

---At this point I would examine everything carefully and make sure every part you paid for was actually installed on the engine, if you haven't already---
Aside from the obvious stuff your new builder has discovered, broken rockers are *typically* the result of improper setup=too much adjuster showing on the pushrod side, so a thorough examination is in order. Did he setup the rockers and pushrods/lash or preload/top end? Or did you?
A cracked oil tube boss doesn't mean the block is junk, but it should be properly fixed, not 'glued' obviously..the grinding on the crank is ugly for sure, but doesn't mean it's not usable...
I getcha though, after dropping that kind of coin you should've been good to go. Have you attempted to contact the builder to see if he'll make it right in some way?
----
I will say this, we've seen plenty of these types of threads and I sincerely and truly hope, that we are getting the full story since you have brought it before the committee..we will gladly back you but you must be fully honest and transparent. And to be clear I am in NO WAY trying to infer that you aren't! It's just that we've been here before...

Sounds like a new crank, some pushrods and JB weld

That block can be saved by the right talent. (experienced talent)

Anyone that rips anyone else off is simply LAME and is a LOSER. My wish is that the majority of great people on this site all help rid the hobby of liars/thieves/scumbags. :hifu:

The 493 I built has a epoxy repair on a lifter bore and has many miles accumulated. The shop I found to bush and align the lifter bores used a Rotler machine (CNC) and the cutting tool broke between holes, breaking out a chunk. I wasn't happy but it works fine. My spare 440 has JB Weld filling a water jacket crack ( I ground it out) and no leaks in over 10 years so far.
Mike

Go through and take inventory of what is still good and what's junk. Might not be as bad as you think.

I got my block bored out .040", rods/pistons balanced, floated, new bearings, polished crank and everything assembled for something around $1400 from the Napa machine shop....guy races and builds small block A Bodies.

What did the new builder say?

Go through and take inventory of what is still good and what's junk. Might not be as bad as you think.
Agree. First thing I'd look at, on the block, is what the bore size is. That would tell you if it's worth looking any farther.
Were the engine parts your's, or the builder's?? Just looking at the hole location for the pickup tube, easy to see it was off at that end. Should have been more centered on that boss.
I had to open my port (440) to 1/2", though the original hole was located right.

The right builder might be able to fix it, if it's worth it. I would have left that crank in the scrap heap.

The pickup hole can be fixed with a "Pipe Thread" Timesert. The drill will need to be rigid (preferably on a Bridgeport) and use an end mill to reposition the hole, then drill to size for the insert. The crank is junk now. It was hacked up by someone who does not know how to balance an engine, and/or does not know how to operate his equipment. The front throw was screwed because he was chasing a moving balance measurement. The rod pin area was welded to correct his moving balance issue. A properly set up machine will have you add/remove material from 2 planes which are established when you set up the job, and these are usually the front and rear throws. I have a 340 in here that was ruined the same way; an inexperienced balancer operator or hack. That guy welded the rear crank flange to correct his mistakes. In my opinion, from the parts boxes you have laying around in your picture, he seems to have mostly been a parts installer. Fix the block, replace the crank, rebalance everything correctly, correct the valvetrain issue, and you will be fine. For that kind of money, did the block get alignhoned and squared too?

It would really suck if that pickup tube we re to fall out of the block from the vibration from running the engine at high RPMs!

These horror stories are exactly why I do everything myself. If I don't know how. I figure it out. If something doesn't seem right I do it again. No one to blame but myself. Sometimes he frustrats the hell out of me....

A detailed autopsy needs to be done and every part needs to be examined. Go back to all the parts you shipped to him and verify they do in fact exist in your engine. Then you can make some educated decisions on how to proceed. Most of us have been bit at one time or another at different levels of OH ****!

What was wrong with a 3/8 pickup? They were adequate for decades for supplying enough oil volume.
I did this on my 426W just so I could say that I did. It was a real PITA to say the least doing it by hand. A Bridgeport would make short work of it. I agree that the 3/8" was fine as had been for many years. I don't think they had all of these new fangled 1/2" Hemi pickups when I did mine. I had to cut out 2" of tube, and reweld it back together. I was worried in the beginning it would leak, and create foam, but I never had an issue with it.

get on the fb marketplace and join the mopar swap shop Group on the Fb.
i saw running 440-s anywheres from 650 bucks to 10 grand.
running,ready to go....all sorts all kinds of power levels.

as far as whats already happened,you have a bit of sympathy from me,
but,i gotta wonder why you didnt start with the professional first,
instead of some random guy/member that says he
"can leap over tall buildings in a single bound! "
o and " can save you money on your next motor rebuild "

Yeah,
Thats hind sight
Not disagreeing with you but we've all made mistakes in our choices
My issue is, a guy provides/advertises a service and does not stand bye his work?
Shoddy work gluing in a piece of the crank.

I accept blame for taking claims about being a builder and going off a hand shake. I grew up being taught a handshake was your word. I ordered every part he said I needed then had it shipped up there, with updates every week. I didn’t expect the build to grow to almost 6. 1500 block all ready to go, 906 heads “dialed” 800, rockers, cam etc. 1700, pistons, rings, etc. plus machine work, carb, added up quick.

Yeah, I'm like you
But today, crooks are everywhere

I have just returned from the professional engine builder i am now using who has told me my engine is junk.
In 2013 I bought a 727 from a member here (or possibly former member now), and started discussing engines. He claimed to be a builder and could easily build me a 440. I entered into a deal with him shoveling him overtime money as I could afford it. Approx. 3 years later I had a finished engine and I traveled to Washington to help do the break in. I then stored the motor and installed it summer of 2018 and finally drove the car this last summer. I had maybe 200 miles on it when a rocker arm broke and bent two pushrods. I took it to the new builder who is a professional to diagnose. He tore into the engine and discovered a lot of sketchy work. The enlarged oiling boss from 3/8 to 1/2 cracked the block and was glued, the crank had material ground off and had been welded on! (pics).
I had approx. 6gs wrapped up in this build and now everything minus the rods and external parts are junk. I am looking at spending another 6-8 to make it run again. I’m at the breaking point. My wife wants the car gone. I’m beyond pissed.

View attachment 879734 View attachment 879735 View attachment 879736 View attachment 879737

First, I would want to know why the rocker arm broke and the pushrods bent.
Not sure the engine is junk without really having measurements.
The block at the pickup can be repaired, or you can convert to external oil pickup. I have seen pickup tubes welded to the block because the 1/2" pickup conversion was done wrong.
Not sure about the cylinder scratching can't really tell from the photo? Check ring gap and if the ends were de-burred?
If Tungsten was installed in the crank, I have seen the crank welded so it won't come out, but nothing like what your crank looks like.
Did the person balance the crank too, or have another shop do that work?

I accept blame for taking claims about being a builder and going off a hand shake. I grew up being taught a handshake was your word. I ordered every part he said I needed then had it shipped up there, with updates every week. I didn’t expect the build to grow to almost 6. 1500 block all ready to go, 906 heads “dialed” 800, rockers, cam etc. 1700, pistons, rings, etc. plus machine work, carb, added up quick.
much as these guys will say the opposite,i still run my business exactly that way.
my Word and my Handshake are Solid.
i Rarely have to write receipts either.

for instance,i bought an entire cleanout on a handshake sat,that was my end.
a dodge dually yesterday on a handshake,that was the sellers end,
and as per usual both were great deals.
so,is it possible to Trust a mans Word in 2019?
yes,as long as you have the Right person to start with.

i do have a question for the Op.
its been a few days....
has your new engine guy said whats up with your motor and did Alll those parts you Paid for make it Into the motor?

Auto Transport Service
Back