• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 engine What do you think this is worth

I agree M&M, $500 tops. Like anything else though, if you find the right buyer it could fetch more. That's why I have a 400BB and 2 440's sitting around, can't get more out of them then they're worth to me.

Thanks to all who responded. I guess I will rebuild and use it to replace the 383 in my sons 68 satellite.

Thanks again

Steve,

It wasn't my intent to discourage you with the sale of your engine. Just my thinking on the subject and prices around this neck of the woods. AZ prices are higher on most everything so you well could do much better down there, who knows?

Also good to hear that you are a "hands on" Mopar engine guy as well. :thumbsup:

Its worth what someone will pay for it; if there is someone with a 68 something that originally had a 440 it might be worth a fair bit but in general it depends on the area and buyer; $500 - $1500 would be my guess.

Steve,

It wasn't my intent to discourage you with the sale of your engine. Just my thinking on the subject and prices around this neck of the woods. AZ prices are higher on most everything so you well could do much better down there, who knows?

Also good to hear that you are a "hands on" Mopar engine guy as well. :thumbsup:
Oh you didn't discourage me. I'm in my mid 60s and have two other engines to build. seems I cant just drive them.

I am by no means an expert, but to me a running 440 that isn't using oil would be worth at least $750 - $800 with all of the brackets, tin etc? Wouldn't the '67 have the 915 heads, albeit likely the smaller valves? A running motor can go into your car while you sort things out and then later be rebuilt.

Maybe I'm missing something re the definition of "tired" ... heck, I'm 60 and feel a little more "tired" everyday!
well I'm 64 I can tell you (Tired=needs more rest and just don't run like i did when I was newer.)

well I'm 64 I can tell you (Tired=needs more rest and just don't run like i did when I was newer.)

Right there with you, in fact got you beat by a couple years. The trouble starts when my head is telling me that I can still do things like I did 35 years ago and then my body chimes in and says "No you can't"! :cursin:

Right there with you, in fact got you beat by a couple years. The trouble starts when my head is telling me that I can still do things like I did 35 years ago and then my body chimes in and says "No you can't"! :cursin:
Ya gotta "think" smarter when trying to do anything!!

On a somewhat related note-

Let's see that 67 R/T.

...and if you haven't posted your 67 GTX, let's see that, too.

On a somewhat related note-

Let's see that 67 R/T.

driver front corner.jpg pass outside.jpg

Nice.

What's the scoop on the R/T?

is that turbine bronze?

Video of it running, compression check, or see it running before pulling add a lot of value imo.
Some people may get free cores, maybe some get free running engines, but if you have to build one these days...

I sold a truck forged crank 440 that I had verified running as I drove the truck home years ago for $800 last summer. It was stock.
If yours had good compression check I don't know how it wouldn't be worth $1500 hearing it run.
Just tore down a running 440 for someone because of a valve spring that broke at an idle! Turns out all the springs on one head head were in coil bind and all of them had fretting and ran some metal particles though the engine. Both heads had different casting numbers on them too. Crank doesn't look too bad for all the bearings are junk and looks like they were before the spring issues and the bores look like crap too. Found out that this thing had water in it when it was purchased a couple of years ago.....for 1500! Good thing about it is that it's still stock bore. He didn't look it over too good before buying it.

Been at that point for awhile now!

LOL, because your gonna hurt longer if you don't.
And the older you get, the longer it takes to heal! Just turned 70 and well, don't think I'm liking it too much lol

Sorry. Meant "scoop" as in info.

I should be more mindful when discussing a car that actually came with a hood scoop installed.

Just tore down a running 440 for someone because of a valve spring that broke at an idle! Turns out all the springs on one head head were in coil bind and all of them had fretting and ran some metal particles though the engine. Both heads had different casting numbers on them too. Crank doesn't look too bad for all the bearings are junk and looks like they were before the spring issues and the bores look like crap too. Found out that this thing had water in it when it was purchased a couple of years ago.....for 1500! Good thing about it is that it's still stock bore. He didn't look it over too good before buying it.

Been at that point for awhile now!

And the older you get, the longer it takes to heal! Just turned 70 and well, don't think I'm liking it too much lol
I've seen 440s still running with spun bearing. Broken rod. I know the slant 6 guys may argue. 440 toughest motor I've seen. Worst? Ford. (And not just their FE big blocks.) Do they all come sludged up from the factory? And "What the hell is that smell?"

Sorry. Meant "scoop" as in info.

I should be more mindful when discussing a car that actually came with a hood scoop installed.
That thought crossed my mind when I read your question but I knew what you were asking for lol

I've seen 440s still running with spun bearing. Broken rod. I know the slant 6 guys may argue. 440 toughest motor I've seen. Worst? Ford. (And not just their FE big blocks.) Do they all come sludged up from the factory? And "What the hell is that smell?"
Didn't have any sludge issues with Ford engines but did have stooopid things that broke with my 66 Fastback Mustang. Had 5 Fords in the mid 70's and haven't owned another since 75 when I sold off my last one....the 66. Sure liked the body style of the 1st gen FB's and had two of them but man, when a pedal rack comes apart and does it again after being fixed with new genuine Ford parts....not for me. Not into fixing stuff that shouldn't have broke in the first place!

Auto Transport Service
Back