• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Exhaust

LR1970

Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
Sorry but I guess this has been done to death!

Can you guys give me your input on the best mufflers out there.

I am building a 72 Roadrunner based around the revised 509 cam, so I would like a loud muffler but not one that has too much interior resonance. I am thinking the Flowmaster 50 series or the Super 40 series.

Your feedback will be most appreciated.

Leigh

Lazarus has a response in this thread that gives a breakdown of SPL on different mufflers.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...61951-Borla-mufflers-Thoughts&highlight=borla

I find the most helpful thing to do is YouTube and try to listen to other Mopars with the mufflers that you are looking at.

Now with that said the guy doing the work on my car right now tells me he wants me to try mufflers by Accelerator Performance (or Xcelerator) I can't find a lot of info on them but he claims he's used them on the 5 other builds and every other customer has loved them... He tells me they are quiet when cruising but really loud and deep when you get on it which would be perfect for me...

I'll try and get some clips up of them on my car once installed and I go to 3"

Right now I have 2 1/2 to flowmaster 40's and 2 1/4 out the back and I don't find it to be anything special.

I ran Flowmaster 40 series through 3 inch pipes with a turn down before the axle. If you DONT want it loud or with resonance I then go another direction than I previously chose. Not to mention I would set off others car alarms just by idleing by them in a parking lot plus getting pulled over a few times. It may have been better if I had chosen a smaller pipe & ran them all the way out the rear.

TTI's followed by QTP cut-outs followed by DynoMax Super Turbos. Quiet, loud on demand and no drone.

what cams are you running copper and badmopar? Very nice pair of 67's you guys have.

Dynomax ST vs UF

Lazarus has a response in this thread that gives a breakdown of SPL on different mufflers.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...61951-Borla-mufflers-Thoughts&highlight=borla

I find the most helpful thing to do is YouTube and try to listen to other Mopars with the mufflers that you are looking at.

Now with that said the guy doing the work on my car right now tells me he wants me to try mufflers by Accelerator Performance (or Xcelerator) I can't find a lot of info on them but he claims he's used them on the 5 other builds and every other customer has loved them... He tells me they are quiet when cruising but really loud and deep when you get on it which would be perfect for me...

I'll try and get some clips up of them on my car once installed and I go to 3"

Right now I have 2 1/2 to flowmaster 40's and 2 1/4 out the back and I don't find it to be anything special.

The Super Turbos are a lot quieter at idle than the Ultra Flos as tested on my stock 440. I went with UFs on my car.

I had Flow Master 50. Sounded good however the drone was not good for cruzin. I have changed to Dynomax Super Turbo. Has good sound and a more drivable. The sound is Great with Flow Master but that wears off quick when you start driving it. Guess I am getting old.

Your not getting old, just wiser. Thanks for the input, Dynomax Super Turbo is the way I will go.

what cams are you running copper and badmopar? Very nice pair of 67's you guys have.

Mopar Performance. Mild compitition. Hydraulic. 474" lift, 280* duration, 60* overlap, 110* centerline. Old part number P4286631. I have 915 heads.

In my earlier post I left out my recent exhaust purchase that Im changing to. It came from Classic Exhaust out of Ohio. Got pre bent alluminized dual exhaust with turbo mufflers & H pipe for $330. Not too bad of a deal if you don't want to spend over $700 with a TTI setup.

I was suprised to find that my local autozone sells their flowmaster 40 series for a buck or 2 less than the mail orders.. I had a $20 rewards credit and used it towards mine when I bought mine last week :D

Auto Transport Service
Back