• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 freeze plug question

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
Customer of mine had a rotted core plug in his 440. He gave me shallow brass 1 5/8 plugs. Had a little bit of an issue getting it in (headers) but I thought it was good. Came out the next day and had some coolant in the drip tray. Barely leaks but it leaks. Removed it , when out and bought a steel deep ( 1/2 inch ) Dorman (aka China) and went to install and it also just slide into the block ? Checked the part number on the bag and it is indeed an 1 5/8. Only seemed to tighten up when the last 1/8 inch or so at the edge hammered in. Really don't trust it. Never experienced this before. Are deep plugs on a 440 a no no, or do I just need a different manufacturer freeze plug? I only put water in at the moment and was going to pressure check tomorrow. Thoughts?

get milodon deep brass. use the right stuff silicone. problem solved.

Better get the right size plug. If it blows out it could be a overheating disaster.

Most places push the Chevy size on you. You need to be diligent to get the right ones.

@DanielSlocum I ordered and used the Milodon deep brass core plugs. Quality product that felt proper as it was driven in.

Correct Mopar size is 1 41/64".
My preference is brass....more corrosion resistance. I use Loctite on the brass cup after cleaning the block's hole to where its applied. Allow for it to cure....its an anerobic material.
BOB RENTON

Amazon.com: Permatex 25210 High Strength Removable ...

Permatex High Strength Removable Threadlocker ORANGE is a hybrid formula that combines the strength similar to Permatex Threadlocker RED with the removability of Permatex Threadlocker BLUE. Permatex Threadlocker ORANGE is 3X stronger than blue and provides a high strength hold for heavy-duty applications.

Auto Transport Service
Back