• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Heads Advice

Frank2304

Local time
5:32 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1967 Coronet with a 400 and a 1972 Duster with a 440. My question is regarding big block 440's and since I am a member of both FABO and FBBO, I thought there may be more 440 enthusiasts on the B Body forum so here goes...

The 440 in my Duster is a 1975 from a New Yorker. The engine is basically stock with the following mods:
TTI Headers and 2 1/2" exhaust with an H crossover
Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake maniford
Edelbrock Performer Series #1412 800 CFM carb
MOPAR P4452783 cam. 268/284 duration, .450/.458 lift (basically a stock 440 Magnum purple cam).
Mopar orange box/electronic ignition/ pointless distributor. (Initial 20*, 36* all in at 2,200)
727 Torqueflight
8 3/4 Sure-Grip with 323 gears.

I mostly cruise, attend car shows and of course an occasional A to B on the avenue but not planning on the track (OK, maybe once to see what kind of numbers it will do). I run it on 90 octane ethanol free pump gas. The car runs great as is but I know there is more potential power that is fairly easy to gain from better heads.

My question is this, I am planning to upgrade from my open chamber 8.2 to 1 stock heads and install some closed chamber, better flowing heads. Do I go with some freshened up closed chamber 915 cast iron heads and maybe a port and polish... OR... do I go with a set of after-market aluminum heads like Edelbrock RPM, Source, Indy, ProMaxx, etc.

Keeping in mind I want to increase power of course, but don't want to select heads with a level of built in performance that would be thrown away on this relatively mild 440 build and cam.

Thank you in advance...

Frank, For your low compression engine I would find the smallest chamber CC's . For the money 440 Source are a good bet. Edelbrock streets is another.When you get into the Indy, Edelbrock RPM and the others they would be for "Built" engines. Just my 2 cents..

I don't pretend to have the mechanical bragging rights of so many others on FBBO, but I can tell you, I just had a set of closed chamber EDE E-Streets professionally installed on my 440 and I am loving these heads. Without getting into all of the technical specs and various equipment combos - they just work for me, at an affordable price. I don't think you would regret having a set of these heads on your ride, based upon your described application. One tip thou...make sure you check the valve guide clearances, before bolting on these heads. Mine were tight and required correction - to avoid nasty sticky valves, after things heat up. I also had to have the corner of head ground off slightly, to accommodate my drop in MSD distributor, due to clearance issues. Obvious benefits, such as: rapid heat dissipation; improved air flows; no more water coolant leaks, due to EDE's closed hole exhaust manifold engineering; and EDE's re-alignment of spark plug angles, allowing for full length plugs (instead of shorties) improving prior plug wire-to-header clearance issues; not forgetting an estimated (60+) HP gain - are all game changers, that work great for me. Good luck with your build :)

Last edited:
Thank you both. I've read a number of reviews on aftermarket heads but many are older posts. I am glad to get some current feedback. I posted in the general forum as the traffic there is heavier. Thanks again..

Auto Transport Service
Back