• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 horsepower

dodgedream

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys I know this would be only wild guesses but I would like input with the limited info I have. I have a 440 with flat top pistons, cast heads that have been ported and polished. balanced engine with a radical purple shaft cam and topped off with an edlebrock performer intake and edlebrock 750 CFM performer carb.this sat in front of a hemi 4 speed and the rear end is a suregrip .that is the limit of what I know about the engine and would like educated guesses on the horsepower. The previous owner drag raced this car but I don’t know any trap times and am wondering what to expect when I am ready to drive it for the first time in a couple of monthes

Your title is probably a close guess without knowing much.
A good performing engine should make around 1 hp/ci, so 440 horsepower.

And that's what it would be with the given information, a wild guess.

Shame you dont have a time slip.... you can pretty accurately reverse engineer everything from a good time slip by a decent driver, as long as you know the cars weight.

1/4 Mile ET Calculator

Playing around with the above link, i can surmise without knowing anything at all about my engine specs in my drag car that it's approx 380 horsepower, which makes the info given by RemCharger in post #2 incredibly accurate. :carrot:
And, apparently a few horsepower more than the Nova shown here lol;

Last edited:
Is it a Performer or Performer RPM intake?.

The Performer is a little notch above stock for mild builds.

The Performer RPM is the more aggressive one.

Performer: (has choke well and EGR plate)

intake2-jpg.jpg

Performer RPM: -No choke well, no EGR plate

0b90e00e-836f-40f1-b9ff-9828b2cdfb3c-jpeg.jpg

As long as we are guessing, I'd like to think that combo makes about 450-500 HP. With a good tune up, of course. Just my opinion.

Cam specs, open or closed heads, how far down in the hole = compression ratio. Those things are needed to get a close rating.

Ok performer RPM intake and the cam is really lumpy. I have only heard it run for a couple of minutes while loading it on a trailer and that is what info I have. Wish I had more

To narrow it down exactly,
It shouldn't make less than 375,
And likely not more than 500.

Shame you dont have a time slip.... you can pretty accurately reverse engineer everything from a good time slip by a decent driver, as long as you know the cars weight.

1/4 Mile ET Calculator

Playing around with the above link, i can surmise without knowing anything at all about my engine specs in my drag car that it's approx 380 horsepower, which makes the info given by RemCharger in post #2 incredibly accurate. :carrot:
And, apparently a few horsepower more than the Nova shown here lol;

Not bad. I punched in 3700 on my old 64, estimated 460 horse on the smogger 440 that was in it and the et was 1 1/100th off lol.
The mph was whacked though .
:thankyou:

Auto Transport Service
Back