• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 HP VS 440HP 6-pack

68GTX4SPEED

Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
Is there any visible difference between a 1970-71 440HP and a 440HP 6-pack block, no internals or external parts just a bare block, when I bought my engine the seller told me when the car was new there were a lot of carburators on it when I bought it it just came with 4bbl, and Ive been told by several guys theres no way you can see at the block if its 4bbl or 6-pack, just as the difference between non HP and HP is just the stamp HP.:yes_no:
Sven

Last edited:
Is there any visible difference between a 1970-71 440HP and a 440HP 6-pack block, no internals or external parts just a bare block, when I bought my engine the seller told me when the car was new there were a lot of carburators on it when I bought it it just came with 4bbl, and Ive been told by several guys theres no way you can see at the block if its 4bbl or 6-pack, just as the difference between non HP and HP is just the stamHP.:yes_no:
Sven

What is the V.I.N. of the car?

No, there is no difference in the blocks.

After looking at the auction, the guy is NOT showing the most critical thing which in this case is the pad in front of the distributor with the character in front of the 440. It will be F for 1970 and G for 1971. The casting date of of this engine indicates that it COULD have been installed in either a 70 or 71 but more likely to be a 70.

The other picture that he shows appears to be the V.I.N. pad that would indicate what car it came from with the last 6 of the V.I.N. I can't make out the first digit (s) but they appear to be 1 A which would indicate a 1971 built at Lynch Rd. but the stamping is poor and the spacing is suspect.

The bottom line is that the casting date code is a desirable one for any 440-4 or 440-6 engine as people are milling and restamping the dist. and the V.I.N. pads. If someone NEEDS this casting date he will probably get at least his starting bid for it.

That VIN pad looks kinds like it's been restamped already.

And no. No external difference in a 440 4V and a 440+6 block. Just someone looking for a sucker

I told him I have 2 440 HP block 1 out of a V-code, and asked him if he can tell me the difference between them because nobody else can do it, havent heard from him again, he also have for sale 2 906 heads for 6-pack,
"Very rare and hard to find, in this condistion,"
Compared to others blocks sold lately at ebay you can have 4-5 of them at his startingprice, but as 696pack say
"If someone NEEDS this casting date he will probably get at least his starting bid for it."
I dont think so.
Sven

Just like people said with the blocks, there's no difference in the heads either.

I re-built a 70 440 HP a few years ago, and the rods on that baby, they looked like they came off the side of a steam locomotive!

Hi Donny, I bought my engine in San Antonio:grin:
Sven

I like how the seller says it has no cracks. How can this be determined when it's all rusty and dirty?

Is there any visible difference between a 1970-71 440HP and a 440HP 6-pack block, no internals or external parts just a bare block, when I bought my engine the seller told me when the car was new there were a lot of carburators on it when I bought it it just came with 4bbl, and Ive been told by several guys theres no way you can see at the block if its 4bbl or 6-pack, just as the difference between non HP and HP is just the stamp HP.:yes_no:
Sven

Hey Sven,
Just looking over your listing here, and i can tell you that, a real 70 six pack engine has the letter C stamped on the pad in the upper right hand corner, i have seen a couple of them and i have one now, it means, special crankshaft and rods.
Hope that helps, alot of these guys are trying to pass these HP2 engines off as 6 packs, but i don't believe it unless it has the Letter C on the pad.
Blessings, Frank

That doesn't mean it's a "six pack" motor. (assuming it really means "special crank" at all)
There were a LOT of 4V motors built using the "six pack" rods (and therefore balancer). There was one in Bambi the A-12 Stripper, and I've seen tons more.

The ONLY ways to tell is IF there is enough VIN to show a "V", or IF you know the entire history of a motor and what it came from. NOT stories from others

Not all 440 six pack motors had the V Code the only real way is removal of the pan and look at the rods and also the external balancer of the six pack motor. If you need a picture of the rods and balance I can email you one from a motor I have laying around.

Wild_Hemi

Not all 440 six pack motors had the V Code the only real way is removal of the pan and look at the rods and also the external balancer of the six pack motor. If you need a picture of the rods and balance I can email you one from a motor I have laying around.

Wild_Hemi

None of what you are saying here is correct.

All 70-71 six pack engines intalled in a car had a V digit in the V.I.N. to identify it as such. 1969 six pack cars had an M.

As posted many times on this and all other mopar sites, the internals you mention are not specific to a six pack engine.

See the post directly above yours.

6 pack rods

None of what you are saying here is correct.

All 70-71 six pack engines intalled in a car had a V digit in the V.I.N. to identify it as such. 1969 six pack cars had an M.

As posted many times on this and all other mopar sites, the internals you mention are not specific to a six pack engine.

See the post directly above yours.
Mopar used the six pack rods in kits supplied with a crank and external balance for the heavier rods. The factory used these with many changes.. I know this for a fact. You can look in all the books you want. But unless you have spare engines, you really do not know. I have 2 six pack motors that came with different assemblies. first with a external balance and th4e second with lighter rods and internal balance from a 1970 Challenger canadian, also with hamantrack plant assembly.

Several years ago I went to a place to see several 440 short blocks. They were all factory fresh (albeit many years old) and all carried a part number for a six pack replacement application.

All were LOW compression motors with deck heights around -.150, and had "six pack" rods in them

There were quite a few "six pack" rotating assemblies in Chrysler truck short blocks. Many Wiinebago's had those short blocks with the "six pack" rod and a dished piston, with the industrial head on them. They had the big balancer almost like the Hemi. And they were steel cranks. Not sure what numbers were stamped on them.

snakeoil24

I hope these posts have satisfied you and you no longer perpetuate the six pack engine myth.

Auto Transport Service
Back