• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 HP VS 440HP 6-pack

So whats the difference between a 440 and 440HP?

Regarding the short block the cam and a windage tray in the oil pan. The compression and heads are the same. From the factory the carb was different too depending on where the car was shipped to. Also had an unsilenced air cleaner and hipo exhaust manifolds on the HP.

Cam, valve springs, timing, maybe jetting.

(forgot the windage tray)

so whats a 440 hp2 i got this block with my gtx was told its not the original block pistons and rods were gone engine has the 6 pack style balancer and i was told from others that they think this was a 6pack engine. like i said rods and pistons are gone last owner told me they were seized in the block and he had to pound them out and in doing so he bent the rods (ya f'n right the cylinders look clean and smooth no way he pounded them out or bent a rod in doing so) i think maybe it was a 6pack motor that he kept the rods and pistons from me

The others should read this entire thread. They might learn something.

The rods and balancer being used in a 70 up 440 do NOT mean it was a Six Pack motor. The "HP2" only means it's an "HP" motor that was built on the 2nd shift.

nothing more

This was another "myth" that was debunked years ago that HP2 designated a six pack engine. As 69runner said, it simply designates an HP engine built on the second shift.

The 69 1/2 6-pak had the same internals as the 4bbl motor as far as the rods went. The change happened in the 1970 run with the internal balance, Different rods and so forth. I"ll have to bring this mopar book I have at work and scan it and post it with the information.

6pk vs 4 v

the differance is all internal
connecting rods, pistons/ cam/ crank /other than the carbs of course
you can take the latest year 440 and put 6 pack internals in it
stronger internals meen durability

Six Pack rods are HEAVY!!!! There's better stuff out there at a reasonable price. If you have to buy rods anyway..............

Back to the original question: there's no difference in the block itself. (And a windage tray was not installed in all 6-pack/bbl engines... at least one did not have it, anyway, I had one without it).

Auto Transport Service
Back