• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 lifter bore minor damage to casting ok to run?

65plymouth446

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys picked up a lower mileage 440 from motor home upon teardown noticed piece of casting missing from front lifter bore casting not the bore itself would you guys run this or have it bushed looking to make this 6-650hp build any suggestions thanks.

IMG_20221116_204505.jpg

IMG_20221116_204441.jpg

I’d get another block for you 650 horse. For a stock engine it’s OK. A bushing isn’t going to add any strength, plus you remove more iron to install the bushing.

Much easier to swap blocks right now vs after it’s built and has a problem.

You see that ridge around the top of the lifter bore, that’s for strength. And yours is gone.

Last edited:
I’d get another block for you 650 horse. For a stock engine it’s OK. A bushing isn’t going to add any strength, plus you remove more iron to install the bushing.

You see that ridge around the top of the lifter bore, that’s for strength. And yours is gone.
Appreciate the info thanks.

I'd run it and not worry. Lots of blocks have more an issue with core shift, and are just fine for racing.

If you are going to run a flat tappet cam it will be fine. If a roller cam, the situation changes. Because of the levering action imparted to the lifter, the top of the left side lifter bores are severely loaded. If the crack had been in a rt side lifter bore, no problem. It might be ok, but hard to say for sure. I would not bush it; you would remove metal & weaken it further.

Auto Transport Service
Back