• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 missing out

midnightrider1818

Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
i got a 440 in my charger. i believe my carb is a 750 or 650 holley. i put a 512 lift cam in her. comp cam and she seems to miss out at about 3000 rpms. messed with timing and everything. cant seem to get her to come out of it. i have a points ignition system on her so i believe that this is my problem. any help would be greatly appreciated.

More info. Did you change the valve springs when you changed the cam? Is it installed straight up? What is your timing set at initial and what is your total advance and at what rpm? What's the number on the carb? Any idea what jets are in it? Mechanical or vacuum secondary?

Yeah, more info would be good. Assuming it was running well before the work, what exactly did you change? Is it the same dist as before? Try disconnecting vac advance. Double check the firing order, 18436572. Go back and revisit everywhere you have been.

:rolling::rolling: Would it be Jenny??? Oh wait, that's 8675309. Maybe try that firing order :rolling::rolling::rolling:

I would bet your problem is you have a Big Old Baloney Converter in it and thats whats making you have the STUTTER problems...Ive had it time and time again...

SS

hey superstock hemi

I would bet your problem is you have a Big Old Baloney Converter in it and thats whats making you have the STUTTER problems...Ive had it time and time again...

SS

hey super stock hemi. i do have a 2800 rpm stall in it. could that be causing the problem. i just dont understand how that would cause it to miss. do i have to run a stall with a big cam.

SS

the motor runs fine when there isnt a load on it but as soon as i put a load on it thats what ends up happening. i know my cam is installed correctly and i put the right springs in for that cam along with lifters. like i said i have a 2800 stall in her. you guys think that is my problem

hey super stock hemi. i do have a 2800 rpm stall in it. could that be causing the problem. i just dont understand how that would cause it to miss. do i have to run a stall with a big cam.

the motor runs fine when there isnt a load on it but as soon as i put a load on it thats what ends up happening. i know my cam is installed correctly and i put the right springs in for that cam along with lifters. like i said i have a 2800 stall in her. you guys think that is my problem

Is the 2800 an Aftermarket then?That shouldnt be ANY problem...Do You have anything else done to the Trans?Do you have a Manual V-Body OR Kick-Down installed?
Are you Sure Your Weights in the Distributor are Letting the proper Advancement?Did you set the Timing at 3000 RPM at 36o?What Fuel pump Do You Have?I USUALLY try to install all my Wedge Cams at 104-106o CL.MOST Say to install at 109-112o.
What Rear Gear do you Have?Are You Sure Your Damper Hasnt Turned on the Isolator so your Timing Isnt where it should be on the Mark?(I seen this MANY times where the outside ring of the Damper has TURNED and the Mark be 10-60+o Off.).
Would You Consider Putting an Electronic Dist/ECM in and seeing if that is the same results?
What Jets In Carb?Power Valves?Where are the Metering Block Air Jets Set At?Have You Backfired the carb and possibly Blown out the Power Valves?What EXACT Carb do you Have?Is It A Vacum Secondary and the Springs Are Too Heavy in the Pod not allowing the Secondaries to OPEN Properly?How Much Vacum Are You Pulling?Do You Have Power Brakes?BAD PCV Valve?

Just A Few Things To Check Real Quick...

SS:edgy:

Did you swap the carb or is it the same one from before the cam change?

Auto Transport Service
Back