• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 not getting fuel. Fuel pump test (vid)

li_dsm

Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my car started. Originally the firing order was not correct so I pulled all the plugs and found when cylinder 1 was at the top of the compression stroke and set the timing up from that. I got it to fire but only when adding fuel directly into the carb. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel though on its own. I pulled the lines from the mechanical pump and ran them both directly to a bottle of gas just to make sure it was pulling and pushing. As you can see in the vid when you start the car it just looks like it 'pushes air and created the bubbles. I pulled the line out that goes to the carb to show that it is not shooting fuel out as it should. Am i doing something in correctly or is my pump bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL_L2BINJho

Here is a vid of it starting right up once fuel is in the carb (don't mind the person filming)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJiLGUIPHc&feature=related

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
i'd say the fuel pump is bad or the push rod is worn down.

i'd say the fuel pump is bad or the push rod is worn down.

I am having the same problem with a new pump. Car died while idling in the driveway. I have also pulled the distributor and watched the pump to make sure there wasn't a problem at the cam, then turned over the car with gravity feeding the fuel pump. No pressure, no fuel, nothing. Can the fuel rod really wear out. How long should it be? By the way gravity feed the carb car runs perfect. Cam is a comp cam ex274 and is new. This is a RB 440

Last edited:
How long should it be? By the way gravity feed the carb car runs perfect. Cam is a comp cam ex274 and is new. This is a RB 440
Should be about 3 1/4 inches and remember its different if you have solid or hydraulic rockers(roller for hydraulic)

need a little more information:

1. new or old gas tank
a) if new go to 2
b) if old did you get it cleaned out?
2. new or old fuel lines from gas tank
a) if new, see below
b) if old did you blow them out to remove any blockages?

Now if you answered A to both 1 and 2 then yes, your fuel pump is **** or your fuel pump rod is worn to the point that it does not fully activate the diaphragm in the fuel pump to pull and push fuel at an adequate volume and pressure.

How you test for this....

1) remove your fuel pump and with the pump's plunger lever pressed against your work bench, push in on the lever with your body weight while holding two fingers/thumbs over the inlet and outlet of the fuel pump to feel for vacuum and pressure

2) if this is fine, goto 4, if not, goto 3

3) if there is no vacuum/pressure, replace your fuel pump

4) if the pressure vacuum is fine, then remove the 3/8" plug below the fuel pump mounting hole and with a pair of needle nose pliers, remove your fuel pump pushrod and check for length and mushroom at either end of the pushrod. Your pushrod should be 3.25 in long

for a new one: http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/fupupubheen.html

ill make this really simple for you lol invest in a decent electric fuel pump a pressure regulator and a fuel filter, mount the pump as close to the tank as possible and wire it so it comes on when the key is in the on postition simple and effective fix

check the fuel hose from the gas tank, it could be dry rotted or cracked and its sucking air, or the pump and pushrod could be at fault.i had same problem before and my gas tank line was cracked. just a thing to check and cheap to fix..

check the fuel hose from the gas tank, it could be dry rotted or cracked and its sucking air, or the pump and pushrod could be at fault.i had same problem before and my gas tank line was cracked. just a thing to check and cheap to fix..
This has happened to me more times then I care to admit too. UNTIL I started using fuel injection hose (on everything, especially on the tank)
No more problems. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

I have had this problem as well, what usually works for me is to prime the fuel pump. The way i do it is very jerry-rig oriented, but i take something like that cap from a bottle of gear oil and stick it in the inlet hose on my pump, then pour a small amount of gas down into the hose. That fills the pump with liquid and then it starts chuggin away! (usually) Dont fool with electric fuel pumps, unless you are into serious racing or something.... too risky. It would be ok if you had a camaro or something, but dont risk burning up your mopar!

great input on this tread ........the contributors here on b bodies are great....I could have made so many mistakes had I not been "Here"

sonny

Racedodge has the right method for first time checking, if you still have problems replace the fuel pump. pump rod and get 3/8" fuel line and run it from tank to pump and pump to carb then everything is new and out of the equation.

If you still have problems after that it might be timing or spark. Really helps to list out everything you have so we can see your set up and give you the best advice.

And remember kids playing with camaro's leads to mental rental instability! rolf

Auto Transport Service
Back