• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Oil Filter leak

I'm betting internal o rings. One big and one small. I thought mine were plastic when I rebuilt my pump they were so hard.

it's not too bad taking the pump off...a little bit of finagling around the sway bar and it's out.

good time to check and make sure there is no scoring on the wall of the pump and the veins etc...

View attachment 405756 View attachment 405757 View attachment 405758
Thanks for the pictures , I see two Orings and a gasket to mate to block
after I undo the bolts the pump should just slide out ?
Do I have to worry about the drive gear when it goes back or will it self align above ?

I'm betting internal o rings. One big and one small. I thought mine were plastic when I rebuilt my pump they were so hard.
Has to be , no leak anywhere just curious how would it leak past the filter lip from inside ?

Thanks for the pictures , I see two Orings and a gasket to mate to block
after I undo the bolts the pump should just slide out ?
Do I have to worry about the drive gear when it goes back or will it self align above ?

tell ya the truth, I do not remember. I think it just went back in without having to do anything special to align everything up. do you have a factory service manual? that will help you a great deal. I know I used it when I did this operation.

If you are removing the oil pump without removing the distibutor,reinstalling is just that,stick it back in.You might have to turn the pump one way or the other during install to align the "hex".
Also a little grease on the new O rings will hold them in place.

Put a little thick lube in pump before putting it back together. It would piss you off if it won't self prime.

Gasket bad from pump to block? O.filters never seep,dbl.-gasket will just dump oil out.

Mine was doing the same thing and it was exactly what Oldbee posted on - the gasket between the block and the oil pump/filter housing. I would get oil on my K-member and even on the top of my power steering box. I bought a rebuild kit and went ahead and replaced the pump gears and the pump cover gasket and the block gasket and now it's drip free. By the way - it's a lot of fun getting to the bolts securing the pump with the engine in the car.

There is no oil except under the lip of the filter . I have felt every bolt and all around the pump it seems to come from inside the filter ,
Could too much oil in pan cause this ?
I'm ordering the complete pump kit today two o rings and gasket .
Does look like fun to change its pretty tight done there .

LOL yeah it's pretty tight, just loosen all the bolts & then hold them up with all 15 fingers and drop/pull it out. Same thing when re-installing. Pump will line up intermediate shaft when you push it in. I have never 'pre-lubed' a filter when changing it,could be wrong, but never a problem. Yes, a bunch of lubri-plate will help prime the pump though.

Can't wait but hell this is why we buy these things to keep us busy and out of trouble .
That's is till you gas it ..

My high school shop teacher taught me to pop the gasket off the filter and lightly oil both sides with clean oil and reinstall before screwing it on, been doing it that way for fourth years no probs.

I'm going to try that as well but think it's the o rings inside .
Anyways it will give me something to do this weekend coming

Clean all around pump then check for oil with toilet paper it will show before your finger can find it

Next time you have the filter off, look at the pump's sealing surface, where the filter seal sits. Could be some kind of defect, a low spot, or the like.
If you don't already, putting on a new filter, just a thin wipe of oil on the seal. Only need the exposed side done. That allows the seal to slip, while you tighten the filter, otherwise, the seal can grab, kink, and it will leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back