• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Oil Filter leak

Next time you have the filter off, look at the pump's sealing surface, where the filter seal sits. Could be some kind of defect, a low spot, or the like.
If you don't already, putting on a new filter, just a thin wipe of oil on the seal. Only need the exposed side done. That allows the seal to slip, while you tighten the filter, otherwise, the seal can grab, kink, and it will leak.
Yup did that learned that in high school - I'm also thinking of a low spot on mating seal surface but it's clean

There is no oil except under the lip of the filter . I have felt every bolt and all around the pump it seems to come from inside the filter ,
Could too much oil in pan cause this ?
I'm ordering the complete pump kit today two o rings and gasket .
Does look like fun to change its pretty tight done there .

Site froze up on me when I tried to reply earlier. I swore for years that it was my filter that was leaking too - but I believe that's only because it's a low point where the oil seeps to from the bad block gasket, pools on the bottom flange of the filter and drips/flies off.

Last edited:
while you have the pump off, lay a straight edge over the mating surface and see if it's square...

I think from everyone's responses that must be .
Thank you to everyone replying I will be changing all the gaskets .

Believe it or not - no one stocks these parts near me . Just got off the phone and ordered
5 complete sets of gasket and both o rings including tax and shipping $48
Shipping was more than the parts !
They will be here in 5 days so as soon as I have them I'll post my results .

Thanks again all

There are 3 o-rings. A large one around the rotor assembly, another around hole going to the block these are under the pump cover and a third on the housing that slides into block. If that one leaks you might lose some oil pressure.

See the part that goes in the block, the third o-ring goes there.
OIL P.PNG

You can also just buy a new complete Melling Hi Volume oil pump. They are about $75 in the states. Easier than changing all the gaskets, which may or may not fix it. Good luck!

I want to thank everyone for the help and instructions on the oil leak .
Replaced the block gasket , Packed the pump rotors with grease changed all the o rings and took it for a run
Oil pressure shot up quick and after a few days now no more leak .

Thanks again all ...

I want to thank everyone for the help and instructions on the oil leak .
Replaced the block gasket , Packed the pump rotors with grease changed all the o rings and took it for a run
Oil pressure shot up quick and after a few days now no more leak .

Thanks again all ...

love it! another satisfied customer!! :thumbsup:

Just realized you already made the repair - I had the exact same issue on my car but I'll leave my original post anyways in case anyone later needs the part numbers :

Melling makes just the gasket and the O-ring (according to them they get a lot of requests for it) so if you don't want to purchase a whole new pump you can just purchase the gasket and O-ring.

Part: H-63016

Jegs:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Melling/689/M63016/10002/-1

I also know that for 440source also sells them.

Auto Transport Service
Back