• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Oilpan swap

Madtownjoe

Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
I have this oil pan currently on my 440 (pictures down below). I think its off a truck. I am putting it into a 70 charger and I need to know the right oil pan and then oil pickup to go along with it. this is my first mopar restoration so Im new to all of this. I would appreciate links to the products. I checked 440 source but they have so many damn oil pans for "that" car but im not sure if just any fits. I appreciate the help

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

All car pans are center sump but there are numerous shapes to that sump. If you're fitting the 440 into a B body, the pan you choose isn't as critical. A body and C body cars have clearance issues with the steering linkage.
I have 2 1970 Chargers.....One has the Street Hemi pan (6 quarts) and the other car has the #402 pan. (4 quarts) They both fit fine.

All car pans are center sump but there are numerous shapes to that sump. If you're fitting the 440 into a B body, the pan you choose isn't as critical. A body and C body cars have clearance issues with the steering linkage.
I have 2 1970 Chargers.....One has the Street Hemi pan (6 quarts) and the other car has the #402 pan. (4 quarts) They both fit fine.
Thank you so much! Would this oil pan work then? sorry for asking it again just want to double check. Oil Pan - Center DEEP 7" Sump, 7 Quart - Gold Irridite plated - New-440 Source

First off get the pan off. Then verify the sumps thread size. Then you can get the correct sump and pan. Til you pull it apart only whistlers mother knows.

The 402 pan is a sure thing. Unless you have a really modified motor, the pickup size will be the normal B/Rb size, not the larger Hemi size which I've never used on my 500+ HP drag motors.

The 402 pan fits but is borderline for street use. It simply has too little capacity. I only used this one because I had it and it was in good shape. When I get more serious about "Jigsaw", I'll swap in a 5 or 6 quart pan.

Auto Transport Service
Back