• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 rattle/knocking sound

I would recommend putting those original lifters back in place if you determine that was not the problem to begin with.
You will be replacing a camshaft pretty soon if you don't. Trust me on this as I know from personal experience when I was a lot younger.

Not exactly. I've been 113 mph with my 3.23s in second at less than 7000. He was probably about 5500 or so.
Agreed.
Mine clicks into drive at 100-101 at 6500. Very short tire. 295 50

So, 5400 RPM's... Nothing I haven't done allot....I use to wind my 440's tighter than that daily... Now that I've gotten older I only do it weekly....

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 7.50.26 AM.png

day 2
flex plate tight and couldn't see any cracks. left the inspection cover off and started it up. same lifter noise (my description) but seem to quiet down. once up to temp, i rev it up and can only hear the carbs roaring, no ticking. back at idle i can hear it lightly ticking again. got a
Stethoscope and couldn't tell what or where ticking is. nothing jumped out but then again i don't really know what to listen for.

day 2
flex plate tight and couldn't see any cracks. left the inspection cover off and started it up. same lifter noise (my description) but seem to quiet down. once up to temp, i rev it up and can only hear the carbs roaring, no ticking. back at idle i can hear it lightly ticking again. got a
Stethoscope and couldn't tell what or where ticking is. nothing jumped out but then again i don't really know what to listen for.
Run a compression test on those 4 cylinders. Maybe you can get additional information from that.

Not sure what you are hearing, but a lot of engines with stock manifolds develop exhaust leaks that tend to go away as the they heat up.

Not sure what you are hearing, but a lot of engines with stock manifolds develop exhaust leaks that tend to go away as the they heat up.

Was thinking about that as well, blew the gasket out with some rpm's.
I almost deemed my engine destroyed when hearing the ticking noise caused by a cracked header.

help:
1968 motor rebuilt 30 over but that was 20+years ago. motor has 17K been running it the last two years. all seems good. did a beat run, tack it up a bit 92ish mph in low2 of my 727 not sure the RPM's. came home ok. next day started it and clacking /knocking sound from pass side, gets quieter as it warms up. thought lifter, ended replacing all 8 on that side. no change, changed fuel pump no change. if i quick rev it, it knocks when going down at idle then quieter.. running 20/50 Castrol like i always have. don't seem to hear any low end noise, seem on top. thanks for reading..
what kind of rpms was thst ? owhat kind of oil pressure did u hsave?
I bet u hurt the motor from over reving it in 1st gear

I agree that an exhaust manifold crack or a leaky gasket or flange could be the problem. The bolts loosen also. Keep ‘er simple. I would have bet money that a rear leaky main was the source of my oil leak on my 440, but a closer inspection showed the oil pressure sender was the culprit. It pays to take your time and trouble shoot any issues. Good luck!!

I had a noise like that once. Pulled the plug wires one at a time and the cylinder that was the cause got quieter when i pulled that wire. Had a busted piston skirt.

spoke to an engine builder and showed him my exhaust manifold. with a straight edge you can see the center ports are not true with the outers. he said try another gasket with some gasket sealer too. the noise I described he said it sounded like an exhaust leak especially when it gets hot the noise quiets down.

Remflex exhaust gaskets the best.MO

Are those made of multiple layers of aluminium?
I had those ones, very soft aluminium that compresses easy, takes a lot of gap and still seals.
Not sure they were remflex, don't remember what brand that was.

Are those made of multiple layers of aluminium?
I had those ones, very soft aluminium that compresses easy, takes a lot of gap and still seals.
Not sure they were remflex, don't remember what brand that was.
Think a wire mesh holds gasket material. Dropped a collector gasket material came off, they're fragile only gripe.

9/10/21 update
It looks as though it an exhaust leak between the head and manifold. the bolts on the manifolds have the 3 extended type shaft that screw onto the stud. well on the LH one, I had used just long bolts with a washer. been like this for 30+ years now. well I ordered the correct type and now the noise isn't as loud when the engine is cold. It all but disappears when hot. I'm still looking to replace the manifold because the ports are not squared with each other.
When I thought I may have over tacked the motor, I didn't. The TIC-TOC-TAC was reading 5500 or so. when I attached my old SUN super TAC, it showed to be about 1000 less than the TIC-TOC. And then I remembered when I drove it in HS, I used to have the SUN on the column for an accurate reading.

So thankyou all for your input. I have the original lifters back in as suggested by 69 Sleeper Bee
thanks again everybody!
exhaust bolts.jpg
exhaust right side.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back