• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 roller cam conversion questions?????

snake
steel lifter to cast iron block
we recommend pressure fed rollers especially for street use (or race only) but you do have to have some oil to the lifters as with hyd lifters
you do not have to restrict the galleries with bushings, just drill the bushing in the right place to feed the oil band when on the base circle
cheers

snake
steel lifter to cast iron block
we recommend pressure fed rollers especially for street use (or race only) but you do have to have some oil to the lifters as with hyd lifters true!
you do not have to restrict the galleries with bushings, just drill the bushing in the right place to feed the oil band when on the base circle
cheers
Agree except when oil galleries are to large we always pre drill. The bronze inserts. I’ve used pressure fed rollers from diesel trucks before they were in fashion like now. Plus we used to use Bronze rollers 30 years ago hope this gives you some thing new to try! I ordered a set of oaky bronze rollers to use instead of needles, wish me luck with oil thru push rods as well

Last edited:
if im not going to a crazy wild cam , is the roller really worth doing then, this is gunna be a street motor, of course want it to go good , and sound lopey , should I stick with a flat tappet cam? just a little worried about lobe failure during break in... roller would be nice ! but?
rollers are expensive, they don’t like to idle, pressure fed rollers are better than non pressure but still can clog up, no matter what any says I believe u need to run diesel oil on any motor for the zinc/molidneium not additives which separate right away and fall to the bottom oils are complex suspensions that need correct ratios of emulsifiers to stay in suspenion

all i can say on that is get quality oil from a blender not added snake oil which as you say ends up in the pan
IDK if you need high zinc with a roller cam - just saying
I like that new corvette oil DEXOS 2 (not dexos 1 ver 2)

BB mopars large diameter lifters are a plus on solid roller cams and solid flat tappet cams but it adds a lot of mass on a hydraulic roller because the body of a hydraulic lifter is so tall. When comparing .842 gm lifter weight to a mopar .904 there is quite a few grams added to each lifter and more spring pressure is required.
For the street we have one engine running a bullet hydraulic roller cam with crower edm roller lifters running tight lash .009. On the street the hydraulic roller cam vs solid roller has a little friendlier ramps for longevity but we don't have the heavy solid hydraulic lifters nor will we have the hp loss mentioned from hydraulic lifter limitations. For the street we feel like this is a tough combo to beat. Running the tight lash on the solid rollers the lifters don't take as much abuse. Lots of good posts and information so far

Last edited:
BB mopars large diameter lifters are a plus on solid roller cams and solid flat tappet cams but it adds a lot of mass on a hydraulic roller because the body of a hydraulic lifter is so tall. When comparing .842 gm lifter weight to a mopar .904 there is quite a few grams added to each lifter and more spring pressure is required.
For the street we have one engine running a bullet hydraulic roller cam with crower edm roller lifters running tight lash .009. On the street the hydraulic roller cam vs solid roller has a little friendly ramps for longevity but we don't have the heavy solid hydraulic lifters nor will we have the hp loss mentioned from hydraulic lifter limitations. For the street we feel like this is a tough combo to beat. Running the tight lash on the solid rollers the lifters don't take as much abuse. Lots of good posts and information so far

Just mentioning 540Rat motor oil sliding wear test results seem to indicate the specific oil's Base chemistry by far affects non-pressurized boundary layer only (lifter to cam lobe condition similar) frictional wear result way predictably real world than comparing specific unpredictable Zinc ppm selection..Not All High ppm Zinc oil lubes good.

We ran my buddys 67 Belvedere this weekend.440 stock stroke, Eddy rpm heads, M1, hydraulic roller .560 lift. 11.75@114. It's been together for 6-7 years. That being said another friend, similar combo except intake and Mopar .557 solid. 11.30s@117-118. It's also been together 6-7 years. For a big solid roller you cant beat the Isky Red Zones with bushings. Over 550 passes on them. Cam is 285/292, .800. Spring pressure 310/800. The Comp 892's in it previously with the same cam and pressure were all done at 150 passes
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back