• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Running rough, compression test results

Ignition is new. Converted it to mopar electronic after it happened. New msd coil. Not a rhythmic miss, pretty erratic. It runs the same if I leave the choke closed. I didn't check the air gap, but its running the exact same as it was with the old distributor so i dont think its that. Timing is on, can't find any vacuum leaks. I still think its a fuel issue, but thought it was the pump. Gonna change carb later today. I don't know anything about the fuel pump rod, except that I had to lift it to get the pump in, and it was a pain in the ***. How do you check it? Gonna check the regulator too. Thanks again

Ignition is new. Converted it to mopar electronic after it happened. New msd coil. Not a rhythmic miss, pretty erratic. It runs the same if I leave the choke closed. I didn't check the air gap, but its running the exact same as it was with the old distributor so i dont think its that. Timing is on, can't find any vacuum leaks. I still think its a fuel issue, but thought it was the pump. Gonna change carb later today. I don't know anything about the fuel pump rod, except that I had to lift it to get the pump in, and it was a pain in the ***. How do you check it? Gonna check the regulator too. Thanks again

I'd put a rebuild kit in the carb, they are pretty cheap and its probably due anyway. All it takes is a tiny piece of trash to dislodge from the float bowl to partially block a jet or whatever. At the very least pull it off, pull the bowls and do a nice clean job.

I'd put a rebuild kit in the carb, they are pretty cheap and its probably due anyway. All it takes is a tiny piece of trash to dislodge from the float bowl to partially block a jet or whatever. At the very least pull it off, pull the bowls and do a nice clean job.

x2
also do you have a way to check your fuel pressure?

I want to thank all you guys for helping me out. I pulled the carb off today and it was filthy. The guy I bought it from had put a new tank in it and it looks like he ran it with the old tank after sitting for years. It was nasty. I could see where one of the holes inside was totally plugged. Put the carb back on and it runs Perfect. I am so relieved. Thanks so much you guys are awesome!!

I want to thank all you guys for helping me out. I pulled the carb off today and it was filthy. The guy I bought it from had put a new tank in it and it looks like he ran it with the old tank after sitting for years. It was nasty. I could see where one of the holes inside was totally plugged. Put the carb back on and it runs Perfect. I am so relieved. Thanks so much you guys are awesome!!

congrats, simple fix, that's great to hear, thanks for keeping us updated....

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know anything about the fuel pump rod, except that I had to lift it to get the pump in, and it was a pain in the ***. How do you check it?

just so you know now you got the car fixed :headbang: , Mechanical Fuel Pump Rod 101, the fuel pump rod runs on an eccentric on/near the front of the camshaft & can/will wear sometimes, if it's too short/worn down, your mechanical fuel pump won't work as well as it should... When the fuel pump is off, you take a {IIRC} 1/4 or 3/8 NPT plug out, just below the center of the fuel pump mounting surface, then the rod will come all the way down & out of the block & can be measured/compared to a new one & see if the pump rod is worn down, reinstall in reverse order...

Auto Transport Service
Back