• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source CNC head review on YT

LowDeck451

Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
Eric Weingartner flow tests a CNC Stealth head. Pretty interesting.
Search ‘Mopar 440 Source head review with real flow numbers’ on YouTube.
Sorry guys, I’d link it, but I’m a little too technologically impaired!

Buying a pair is definitely a future plan.

ported 452s for now

I think he has to understand this is not a race head! More of a stock replacement. I would agree the seats do need attention. I spent $450 to have the seats and chambers corrected. This picture was taken just before the chamber was cc'd. Top cut overlapped exhaust seat and chamber unshrouded behind the valves.

IMG_1883.JPG

Last edited:
Eric is a race head porter, the intent was to review it as such. The review was spot on and nothing we haven’t heard a thousand times on this site. He isn’t a Chevy guy, he’s a head porter and can’t control what comes through his shop.

I’m happy someone is putting mopar content up with real data for once….check back in a week or two and he will have a review up for the edelbrock b/rb performer rpms.

Here is my 440 Source Stealth heads, ported by Muscle Motors. 1st column is lift, 2nd is intake and 3rd is exhaust. They only measured to 0.600 lift.
Screenshot_20220111-192201_Chrome.jpg

IMO, the CNC program applied to the STEALTH's is probably pretty good.... with potentially just some "final finese" probably wanting OOTB ?

All I know is this....
with the STEALTH Heads, which are NOT a race head at all and never intended to be one......
we Street Port them and re-do the Valve Seats/Angles/Widths and apply back cuts.....
and,
we see pretty respectable Flows with a steep curve on our SuperFlow SF750 Bench of just sub-300 cfm @ .600"... mid 280's @ .500"

Enough that we've Dyno'd 545 hp with 562 Ft/Lbs on a .030" over 440 on 91 Octane using a pretty 'run of the mill' .507" Lift Comp Cams xe284H Flat Tappet Cam ?
and
Dyno'd 595 Hp with 585 Ft/Lbs on a 451 using a .570" Lift HR Cam ?

My point being....
we find the STEALTH Heads to be extremely capable ?
and if a guy WANTS more ?
It's really simple.... go BUY more ?

I think he has to understand this is not a race head! More of a stock replacement. I would agree the seats do need attention.

I agree but as the video said at 13:00 minutes in about the 440 Source heads "it is leaps and bounds better than any stock casting" For my street once in awhile strip car I am going to use these. Painted it is hard to tell from stock heads [important to me] as well as stock sparkplug direction. I am using HP manifolds. Also the weight savings and of course price. I had mine checked over with slight milling and valve job etc, minor bowl work + different springs to work with my custom roller cam by Dwayne Porter at Porter Racing Heads. This is a 505 440 stroker for the street that Mr Porter designed for me for pump gas. My hope is to finally get the engine [assembled] into my 69 Fury III this spring.

I was surprised that "CNC ported" did not include a multi-angle valve job?
A good valve job and chamber cleanup would really boost the low flow numbers.

I do agree that the chamber design is not up to modern standards (the Edel RPM is not much better), but the market for the head is stock replacement in fit (straight plugs for manifolds, 80+cc chambers, stock rocker arms can be used) and appear to look like a stock iron head. They are fairly inexpensive, and way lighter than the iron heads.

I had posted the flow bench numbers from my heads that had some mild porting and a valve job, the the numbers were decent.
I recall the low lift numbers were better than I expected, and peak flow was right around 290.
I tried searching for the flow numbers I posted, but looks like it was before 2012, and the search only goes back 10 years?

The current Stealth cnc offering are no longer done at MCH....... so it stands to reason they may not flow the same as the ones that were done there.

That being said, Eric’s numbers seem uncharacteristicly low.
Any of the CNC’d Ede RPM BBM heads...... and all the copies....... should be a solid 300cfm + to justify running them through the machine.

I’ve had some std port cnc’d Stealths done by MCH on my bench...... they flowed 315, with very good low/mid-lift flow as well.

With the valve seats redone and a bowl blend the unported ones flow right about 280 on my bench....... which is 15-20 better than ootb.

I just purchased and had installed on my 440 a set of the new CNC ported stealths. I have to say that i was not happy with the finish on the port work. The cuts were very rough and left a large and deep saw tooth surface finish. My guess is that they did a program with less cuts to decrease the time in the machine. I would loved to have pulled out the porting tools and finished off the ports as I feel there is some flow there. That said for the price they are working pretty well.

I just purchased and had installed on my 440 a set of the new CNC ported stealths. I have to say that i was not happy with the finish on the port work. The cuts were very rough and left a large and deep saw tooth surface finish. My guess is that they did a program with less cuts to decrease the time in the machine. I would loved to have pulled out the porting tools and finished off the ports as I feel there is some flow there. That said for the price they are working pretty well.
Trickflows 240 cnc head is not much better with the "saw tooth" finish. I could polish mine but you lose fuel distribution so I am told

I've started watching weingarters videos as well, he often sets the disclaimer that his flow bench setup may not be optimal for Mopar as he does mostly Chevy/ford so the absolute flow numbers could be systematically biased low. Relative comparison is useful though. I would be happy with the cnc source heads for a street build with near stock cubes.

Trickflows 240 cnc head is not much better with the "saw tooth" finish. I could polish mine but you lose fuel distribution so I am told
No I worked as a head porter and worked the flow bench for Extrude hone. Trust me a 60 grit cartridge roll will provide enough roughness to keep the fuel in suspension at normal velocities. We did wet flow tests and shape/dead spots were much more likely to create puddles. I built a Offy flat long ram with a lexan top. We honed it then I finished one side with a 60 grit. Both side wet the floor at the same places. Right where the intake bolt was in the way of the radius of the port entry. Point is this surface is really rough. Like an aluminum flat file or a rough cross cut saw blade. I wish I had taken pictures. That said I’m sure they are better than the stock 452s I took off.

Do they still do this service? I would like to send my OTTB Stealth heads to them instead of buying the CNC version from 440 Source
There number is on the flow sheet in my post. I would give them a call.

Do they still do this service? I would like to send my OTTB Stealth heads to them instead of buying the CNC version from 440 Source
Muscle Motors in Michigan does great CNC work on the Stealth heads also. Just another option.

Auto Transport Service
Back