• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source Rocker Arm Failure

67Satty

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
Heard a ticking sound on the drive back from racing at Barona the other weekend and thought it was just an exhaust leak from the gaskets from the cutouts. Replaced the gaskets and the ticking didn't go away so I pulled the driver's side valve cover and saw the the pin holding the roller tip on the cylinder #7 intake rocker had broken off, the roller tip was missing and the top of the valve stem was just hammering into the rocker leaving a nice ding:

IMG_20190503_190300646.jpg

Luckily it didn't drop a valve and I found all the missing pieces in the top of my cylinder head. I still have to take the rocker off and see if my retainer took a beating.

This happening with a mild hydraulic cam with valve spring pressures of only 130/300, no over revving, never revved much past 5,000 rpm. They lasted about 3,000 street miles and over 130 1/8 mile passes with no indication of trouble before this. My last pass of the day was within a few hundreths of a second of my best pass ever. Then on the drive home the pin broke and let go.

I could just replace the one bad rocker for $25 and be on my way but I don't have a good feeling about running these rockers anymore.

My choices have boiled down to finding a set of used ductile iron rockers from Crane or Isky, buying a set of new Crane ductile iron rockers from Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-64770-16

At a cost of $470 the Cranes from Summit don't come with shafts, hold downs, or spacers so I'd have to piece together that stuff and add it to the total cost.

I'm also thinking of these re-branded sets that Mancini Racing sells that are made by Harland Sharp that come with everything for $511 and are available in both 1.5 and 1.6 ratios:

https://www.manciniracing.com/b15alrowibih.html

What do you guys think?

Also, which one of these do you think I'd have a better chance of being able to use my current pushrods because they will still be the correct length needed?

Thinking about going to a 1.6 ratio if I end up getting the Mancini set because I'm thinking of upgrading from my stock iron 452s to E Streets and a 1.6 ratio would give my .534 lift cam .569 lift which might take a little better advantage of the better flowing heads.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
I'd have Sharps, before recycled pepsi cans from China.

I know a few using the ones from Mancicni for $511 which I believe are made by Harland Sharp. They have all been working great. Myself I have been using Hughes roller tip rockers on my eng for the 8 years its been in my car and they are still looking great. Ron

PM sent.

I put in a set of Hughes 1.5 rocker arms. They are spendy but holding up nice. I also went with the B3RE rocker alignment kit to keep the tips centered.

I originally had a set of Crane and started getting wear at the tips. Got the Hughes while waiting for the replacements. Pushrod length was different so that was another $160.

I used Comp Cams Magnum rockers, talk about a nice stout looking piece of stainless... not aluminum! I chose them because they're bushed at the shaft, bearings mean less material which = weaker besides these Mopars get oil pumped right into the rocker. 15,000 miles on them so far and it gets revved beyond 6,000.

I would buy either Harland Sharp or Hughes. Hughes would my 1st choice.
I used the exact same 440 Source (1.6) rockers on my Coronet and with around 150 1/4 mile passes and about 25 street miles I had NO problems at all...plus they kept the valve gap spot on. I checked them about every 25 runs and they were never off....but....I didn't have 3000 street miles on them.

I had 440 source rockers on my 512, a few 1/4 passes & 5k hard street miles, 155 seat,390lb, held up great, but I changed them anyhow, went with T&D, the source rockers dont oil the roller tip, they only get oil splash, others & I know T&D has an oil hole to lube the tip & cool the valve springs. I also used the B3 racing correction spacers with the T&D's

I don't know if I would use the Cranes anymore, they seem to be having problems with them lately. Might be fine for your setup though, if you do want to go that direction, there are a couple of sets for sale in our parts forum at the moment..

I use nothing but sharps
I've used them in the past and really like them just don't see the need for a needle bearing on the shaft in a Mopar, great rockers nonetheless.

440 source is Chinese junk!
I wouldn’t use any of their stuff, especially a critical component like a rocker arm.
You dodged a bullet on that one.

I bought the Comp Cams pro magnum set and am impressed with them so far. Comp solid roller in mine

Auto Transport Service
Back