• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 with Edelbrock, HEAT SOAK ISSUES!

AlienMopar69

Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440 currently with edelbrock performer series intake and edelbrock 750 carb. Im having issues with heat soak, especially in the hot summer afternoons of New Mexico. I have no room to move the carb up with spacers, does anyone know how I might be able to fix this issue? Please let me know, because this is frustrating!!!!

Brian

Given its early in the year....could still be winter gas causing this problem. The lower volatility gas in summer months makes it less likely to boil.

Could be a carb that is leaking the fuel into the manifold over time giving the illusion of heat soak.

Maybe your cooling system is not operating properly. Poor circulation, air pocket etc... What does your temp gauge tell you out of curiousity?

Maybe running too lean causing temp increases and boil off.

Maybe cracked intake?

When you say Heat soak I assume you mean the gas is boiling out of carb and is hard to start after it gets up to temp?

1/2" inch spacer and blocked the crossovers cured that problem with my edelbrock. Actually pretty common issue i've seen come up on here several times. Would a low profile or drop base air cleaner give you room for a spacer?

Brian brought up some good points as well and should definitely be looked into....I guess to confirm or pin point the boil over type issue, does you car start right back up fine if you go to start it within a minute or so, but if it sits for several or more she doesn't want to start? That's what mine was doing.

What ignition are you running? The six pak on my Bee would heat soak all of the time in florida durring the summer and wouldn't start for nothing UNTIL i changed everything to MSD. Since this ignition will light off anything the issue of heat soak is gone. hope this helps!

Welcome to the modern age of crappy gas. Carbs don't like it at all. Whatever you can do to make the carb cooler do it.

Auto Transport Service
Back