• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

448 Cubic Inch Trick Flow build

Hemirunner

Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
440 block
Stock Main caps
10.700 deck
Stock 440 Forged Crank
6.76 Molnar Rods
ICON Forged Pistons
Trick Flow 240 Heads
Leaning towards a solid roller 248/252 ish
Trick Flow intake
Quick Fuel Q850 Carb
Block is machined. Crank is ready. Heads are here, need rods and pistons to get the party started.

Looking forward to hearing power numbers for this

what's the (448 cid) going in ?

guessing 0.055" (or 0.050") over bore/pistons ?
4.375" x 4.375" bore x 8 cyl.'s x 3.75" stroke x .7854 = (450.99 cid)
4.370" x 4.370" bore x 8 cyl.'s x 3.75" stroke x .7854 = (449.96 cid)

what compression ratio are them ICON's ?
do they have big valve notches ? what cc ?
will the be coated on the skirts or anywhere ?
what thickness & style of rings ?
what thickness & bore diameter of head gasket & style ?
what's the est. final compression ratio ?

will it be a street engine or a track purpose only build ?

I assume a stock stroke 3.75" ?

AFR 240cc (75cc or 84cc comb. cham. ?) heads
'I'm guessing/good flow, like 335-ish cfm', intake flow
@ like 0.600" valve lift ?

335cfm x 2.14hp per/cfm flow = gross crank Hp (est. guess 716.9 hp)
A trusted reputable engine building buddy of mine, told me the 2.14 hp x # of Int. cfm flow,
it's allegedly a good indicator of est. gross crank/power, not 10% accurate,
but when properly tuned/built, professionally ported & it's been really close estimate,
on a lot of good builds...

is the Trick flow intake a dual-plane ? or single ?
I'm not familiar with them

what kind of gross valve lift is that solid roller 248/252 camshaft ?
what ratio rockers ?

I like the 850 Quickfuel carb choice :thumbsup:
especially for moderate street use...

what type of fuel ?

It should be a real runner

Just me being curious about more of the details :popcorn:

Last edited:
Is that for your build or something that will be for sale in the future? Definitely interested in watching this build.

what's the (448 cid) going in ?

guessing 0.055" (or 0.050") over bore/pistons ?
4.375" x 4.375" bore x 8 cyl.'s x 3.75" stroke x .7854 = (450.99 cid)
4.370" x 4.370" bore x 8 cyl.'s x 3.75" stroke x .7854 = (449.96 cid)

what compression ratio are them ICON's ?
do they have big valve notches ? what cc ?
will the be coated on the skirts or anywhere ?
what thickness & style of rings ?
what thickness & bore diameter of head gasket & style ?
what's the est. final compression ratio ?

will it be a street engine or a track purpose only build ?

I assume a stock stroke 3.75" ?

AFR 240cc (75cc or 84cc comb. cham. ?) heads
'I'm guessing/good flow, like 335-ish cfm', intake flow
@ like 0.600" valve lift ?

335cfm x 2.14hp per/cfm flow = gross crank Hp (est. guess 716.9 hp)
A trusted reputable engine building buddy of mine, told me the 2.14 hp x # of Int. cfm flow,
it's allegedly a good indicator of est. gross crank/power, not 10% accurate,
but when properly tuned/built, professionally ported & it's been really close estimate,
on a lot of good builds...

is the Trick flow intake a dual-plane ? or single ?
I'm not familiar with them

what kind of gross valve lift is that solid roller 248/252 camshaft ?
what ratio rockers ?

I like the 850 Quickfuel carb choice :thumbsup:
especially for moderate street use...

what type of fuel ?

It should be a real runner

Just me being curious about more of the details :popcorn:
It’s a 4.360 bore, 3.75 stroke 440 block. 6.76 Molnar rods. Icon pistons are 4.4cc and at zero deck, give me close to 11:1 with the 78cc head. Rockers are some 1.6 440 source that I have lying around. Gross lift will probably be .680ish. The ring pack is a 1/16-1/16-3/16 and is a moly faced ductile iron, street strip deal. Intake is a single plane, like a Eddy Victor. Fuel will be 93 octane pump swill.

Is that for your build or something that will be for sale in the future? Definitely interested in watching this build.
I’m doing a 4.250 stroke 505 that these heads were originally ordered for. We’ve changed the 505 to the 270 head, super vic intake and a QFT-1050 dominator carb. Due to that, I have decided to build the 440 and use the 240 heads on that. I’ll sell it after the dyno.

It’s a 4.360 bore, 3.75 stroke 440 block. 6.76 Molnar rods. Icon pistons are 4.4cc and at zero deck, give me close to 11:1 with the 78cc head. Rockers are some 1.6 440 source that I have lying around. Gross lift will probably be .680ish. The ring pack is a 1/16-1/16-3/16 and is a moly faced ductile iron, street strip deal. Intake is a single plane, like a Eddy Victor. Fuel will be 93 octane pump swill.
:thumbsup:
edited
I'm surprised you got 0.040" over pistons,
(why I figured it was a 0.050" or 0.055" over)

I had to custom order my
4.290" 0.040" over bore zero deck flattop pistons
for my low deck 383 build, they were some pricey buggers...

:thankyou:

Last edited:
I’m doing a 4.250 stroke 505 that these heads were originally ordered for. We’ve changed the 505 to the 270 head, super vic intake and a QFT-1050 dominator carb. Due to that, I have decided to build the 440 and use the 240 heads on that. I’ll sell it after the dyno.
Please keep me in mind when ready to sell.

Sounds like a decent piece. Numbers should be pretty good . It will make a nice street cruiser or bracket racer engine.

I would be interested to hear how this engines does on the dyno. I'd like to build something very similar for one of my cars, although it would have a factory six pack on it (A12 car)

Little brother 240 combo next to the big boy 270 setup.
6E564929-BC82-45D3-A687-649168C5FE07.jpeg

If I decided that a stroker design 440 RB based build was not the direction I wanted to go, this is also the direction that my build would take, but topped off with the requisite 6bbl.
I still think a stroker is the best route for me, because I want a flat, FAT 650ish torque "curve" while approaching 600 HP, without having to spin it up towards 7,000 RPM.
Anyway, sounds like a good build and I'll be
panda popcorn.gif

If I decided that a stroker design 440 RB based build was not the direction I wanted to go, this is also the direction that my build would take, but topped off with the requisite 6bbl.
I still think a stroker is the best route for me, because I want a flat, FAT 650ish torque "curve" while approaching 600 HP, without having to spin it up towards 7,000 RPM.
Anyway, sounds like a good build and I'll be View attachment 754911
But 7000 rpm is just the beginning of the “fun zone”!!

Being as I have decided without a doubt nor open to debate that a 3x2 intake MUST sit atop my next motor, just like the engine in it now and the day it left the factory, because I want to honor the fact that my Roadrunner is a real V-code car and 3x2 setups put out great HP and torque even compared to modern designs, and look really cool.....
Given all of that, the Chrysler/Edelbrock 6bbl intake I have now is a dual plane so that isn't complimentary to a high RPM engine.
I'd consider the ModMan intake with the 3x2 top plate, but I'm very skeptical about the performance of the ModMan and I also want the intake to work with the N96 hood and airbox.

Being as I have decided without a doubt nor open to debate that a 3x2 intake MUST sit atop my next motor, just like the engine in it now and the day it left the factory, because I want to honor the fact that my Roadrunner is a real V-code car and 3x2 setups put out great HP and torque even compared to modern designs, and look really cool.....
Given all of that, the Chrysler/Edelbrock 6bbl intake I have now is a dual plane so that isn't complimentary to a high RPM engine.
I'd consider the ModMan intake with the 3x2 top plate, but I'm very skeptical about the performance of the ModMan and I also want the intake to work with the N96 hood and airbox.
The modman in 3x2 form would be an interesting twist on top of a 270 head stroker.

The only reason why I mention the ModMan is it appears to be a "direct flow" straight runner design single plane manifold that can accommodate a 3x2, but I am not aware of any "glowing" reviews of it for performance w/the 3x2 top plate. If anyone has links to any articles reporting success w/that configuration I'd love to see them.
The Weiand 3x2 intake always intrigued me, but OMG there are so many tweaks required to get it to work reasonably well I'm surprised it was ever marketed, and it won't work with the N96.
I do believe hogging out the ports on the ModMan to TF270/Max Wedge size would be easily accomplished too.

From what I’ve heard the mod man works decent with a pair of 4 barrels. If you use a single 4 though you leave lots on the table. I’d assume the 3/2 setup may be decent. But who knows.

Auto Transport Service
Back