• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4spd trans issue

hacmjim

Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. Am fairly new here(third post). I have a 69RR with a 383 and 4spd. Am just putting it together. Put in a 70 shifter mechanism and a pistol grib. I cannot get it into gear with it running. When I start it in gear with the clutch pedal depressed, the tires spin. I can see that the disc is disengaging with the pedal push down. Might it be something internal in the trans? I had the trans rebuilt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hacmjim, With the car off, make sure the trans is in neutral by checking the drive shaft. Align the shifter with a pin through the mechanism to keep them straight for neutral. Set your rod lengths to align the levers on the trans. Your wheels will spin in gear with the clutch in. The weight of the car needs to be on the rear wheels to keep the drive train from spinning.

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I did adjust the linkage that way and it still will not go into gear while running. I'll try to adjust again.

Check you input shaft at the Pilot bearing and make sure there is NO bind on it Or Drag !

Hello,Is there a chance your clutch disc is in backwards

I see you have a 69 RR, but I need to ask a couple of questions here......as components often times get switched around on these old cars.

How many teeth on the flywheel you are using?

What size of clutch disc and pressure plate are you using?

The reason I ask is this...I had this very same issue when I done my 70 RR. Turns out I was using the wrong bolts to attach the pressure plate to the flywheel. I was using a 130 tooth flywheel with a 10.95" scalloped plate and matching clutch disc. With this set-up, you have to use the correct pressure plate bolts or the heads of the bolts will interfere with the very outer edge of the disc causing the lack of disengagement.

Auto Transport Service
Back