• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727A troubleshooting help...

The converter will fill once the engine is running and the transmission is in Drive, Neutral or Reverse.
Stock application has no oil flow going to the converter when in Park, you could try again selecting Neutral and let it run for some time to let the converter fill up before going to Drive or Reverse.
Since you already tried in Drive and Reverse, the converter would be full already as this only takes several seconds.

Did you set/adjust the Line pressure regulator as per instructions? (the one in the picture)

View attachment 1511458
Wietse... thanks for the tip. I did not know it only pumped oil while NOT in park. I ran it several times prior to testing but never took it out of park. This time, I ran it in neutral, checked oil, filled, ran in neutral, checked oil, filled it. A few times more till I got it right and it now moves as I expected it to.

I have said this before but this is an awesome forum. Thanks all.

I am noting a leak from the trans right now coming from the bell housing. Most likely it is from the torque converter seal... that was new but the converter was not. That will be a separate issue to deal with.

On to the next challenge with this car. :thumbsup:

Wietse... thanks for the tip. I did not know it only pumped oil while NOT in park. I ran it several times prior to testing but never took it out of park. This time, I ran it in neutral, checked oil, filled, ran in neutral, checked oil, filled it. A few times more till I got it right and it now moves as I expected it to.

I have said this before but this is an awesome forum. Thanks all.

I am noting a leak from the trans right now coming from the bell housing. Most likely it is from the torque converter seal... that was new but the converter was not. That will be a separate issue to deal with.

On to the next challenge with this car. :thumbsup:
So in the end it was low fluid level? Excellent. Good stuff. :popcorn:

Good you got it sorted out.
Note that the transmission case also has a vent hole in the bell housing, if overfilled oil could splash out from there.
Check the oil level only when the transmission is warm/hot and idling in Neutral, since you just filled it give it some time first to see if the leak stops after a while as it could have leaked from the vent only.

Hey all,

After getting things figured out with the valve body and such, I noted my trans leaks... A LOT when running. I used a remote flex camera and found a lot of fluid on the threads of this plug. I don't know what it does, and I don't recall taking it out or putting it back in when I rebuilt the trans so my guess is, it does not have any sealant on the threads. Tough part is, I don't think I can pull it out without dropping the trans. Also, the plug seems to be in deeper than that in the manual. Not sure how deep this thing is supposed to go in but maybe that's part of the problem.

What is this plug and can I simply remove it and seal it at the surface or does it have some sort of setting?

1693160502262.png
1693160940484.png

Trans drain plug I believe. Looks like there's was/is a problem before. Hope it isn't cross threaded. Not sure what is best way to seal without pulling trans.

Hey all,

After getting things figured out with the valve body and such, I noted my trans leaks... A LOT when running. I used a remote flex camera and found a lot of fluid on the threads of this plug. I don't know what it does, and I don't recall taking it out or putting it back in when I rebuilt the trans so my guess is, it does not have any sealant on the threads. Tough part is, I don't think I can pull it out without dropping the trans. Also, the plug seems to be in deeper than that in the manual. Not sure how deep this thing is supposed to go in but maybe that's part of the problem.

What is this plug and can I simply remove it and seal it at the surface or does it have some sort of setting?

View attachment 1516339 View attachment 1516344

That plug is keeping the lever pin for the front band lever in place and must be removed when removing the lever.
That is an NPT thread plug and normally only requires some thread sealant when installed back.
Like Fran already said, looks like there has been some issue with it before as it looks strange.
Below is my trans how i found it when i removed it.

Edit: By looking again at your picture, you might be looking at the shaft itself that is already coming out and the plug is missing. Not sure, not really clear.

IMG_1279.jpg

That plug is keeping the lever pin for the front band lever in place and must be removed when removing the lever.
That is an NPT thread plug and normally only requires some thread sealant when installed back.
Like Fran already said, looks like there has been some issue with it before as it looks strange.
Below is my trans how i found it when i removed it.

Edit: By looking again at your picture, you might be looking at the shaft itself that is already coming out and the plug is missing. Not sure, not really clear.

View attachment 1516396
Thanks Weitse... I am... sadly... reluctantly... angrily dropping the trans to get a better look at it. It is a serious pain in the A$$ because 1. I don't have a lift. 2. at 61, rolling around under a car is not a fun as it used to be and 3. I put in dual exhaust which makes it twice as hard to drop it. :BangHead:

I know that it's a pain, but i do not see how to get to that plug without pulling it.
Splitting transmission and engine and leaving it up there makes me fear to damage the converter lugs or shaft seal with even more drama's coming at you.
Keep that trouble and leak free transmission in mind as the goal while struggling under the car, positive thinking. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it looks like the lever pin plug is missing. It will leak here without it.

Auto Transport Service
Back