• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 HEMI from 2008 Ram - VCT?

ibanez6

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
So I've found what appears to be a great deal on a 5.7 Hemi from a 2008 Ram. I used the Car-Part.com website and found it at a wrecker about an hour away from me. Here are the details:

2008 Engine Dodge Truck 1500
36,000 KM (22,356 Miles), COMP 175 - 185, 55 PSI Oil.

They are asking $2250 for the engine. Anyway, on to my question. Would someone be able to confirm if the Variable Cam Timing engines started in 2009 for the Rams? I think I should be OK with this engine but I want to be absolutely sure. If I were to look at the engine in person, would there be any way to verify if it has Variable Cam Timing? I'm guessing I would need to check out the casting numbers or something like that.

Appreciate the help!

Last edited:
My 08 Hemi truck has the vct in it if that helps. I think this is the year that it started. Good luck

My 08 Hemi truck has the vct in it if that helps. I think this is the year that it started. Good luck

Is yours a Ram 1500 or 2500? Not that Wikipedia is the end all of information, but I was looking at the following charts:

THIRD-GEN RAM (2002 - 2008)

RamEnginesGen3_zps7c4f58b4.png

FOURTH-GEN RAM (2009- PRESENT)

RamEnginesGen4_zpsb51bf897.png

Also, I checked on the following Edmund's pages for both the 2008 and 2009 1500 models. Below each is an excerpt from the power train section for that year.

(2008)

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/ram-pickup-1500/2008/#fullreview

"Optional on the SLT and standard on SXT and Laramie is a 5.7-liter "Hemi" V8 that provides 345 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque".

(2009)

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/ram-pickup-1500/2009/#fullreview

"Standard on the Laramie trim and optional on the SLT is a 5.7-liter V8 with a five-speed auto and cylinder deactivation technology. Output is 390 hp and 407 lb-ft of torque".

There is a definite difference between those two engines.

Attachments

• Ram Engines (Gen 3).jpg
    Ram Engines (Gen 3).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Ram Engines (Gen 4).jpg
    Ram Engines (Gen 4).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 593
VCT came out in 09, while MDS was available in 06 (if memory correct), and 09 engines are called "eagle engines" for the 5.7 hemi.

VCT came out in 09, while MDS was available in 06 (if memory correct), and 09 engines are called "eagle engines" for the 5.7 hemi.

Thanks! This page on Allpar just confirmed that for me as well:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

"The first generation 5.7 liter Hemi (the third generation Hemi) produced 345 horsepower at 5,600 rpm (the figure varied somewhat by application) and 375 lb-ft of torque (4,400 rpm) from 5.7 liters (345 cid*) when used in the Dodge Ram - one horsepower per cubic inch. This generation spawned a 6.1 liter SRT8 version.

The second generation 5.7 Hemi produced 390 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque in the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, using variable cam timing; it shuts off four cylinders when possible to get good mileage. The same engine produces 375 horsepower in the 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T with manual transmission. This version spawned a 392 cid (6.4 liter) SRT8 version".

So it looks like I've found myself a great deal on a HEMI! :D As long as the wrecker's information is accurate anyway.

Thanks! This page on Allpar just confirmed that for me as well:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

"The first generation 5.7 liter Hemi (the third generation Hemi) produced 345 horsepower at 5,600 rpm (the figure varied somewhat by application) and 375 lb-ft of torque (4,400 rpm) from 5.7 liters (345 cid*) when used in the Dodge Ram - one horsepower per cubic inch. This generation spawned a 6.1 liter SRT8 version.

The second generation 5.7 Hemi produced 390 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque in the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, using variable cam timing; it shuts off four cylinders when possible to get good mileage. The same engine produces 375 horsepower in the 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T with manual transmission. This version spawned a 392 cid (6.4 liter) SRT8 version".

So it looks like I've found myself a great deal on a HEMI! :D As long as the wrecker's information is accurate anyway.
I don't like the way this reads. Vct does not shut cylinders down, mds does. Vct advances or retards cam timing based on driving conditions.

I don't like the way this reads. Vct does not shut cylinders down, mds does. Vct advances or retards cam timing based on driving conditions.

I thought that was funny at first too, but then I realized it might be making two different points.

1. The second generation 5.7 Hemi produced 390 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque in the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 using variable cam timing.
2. The motor can also save fuel by shutting off four cylinders.

I think it was just poorly written and they mixed the two thoughts into one.

Yes you are correct though, the 08 did not have variable cam timing while it does have cylinder deactivation. If we all spell things out instead it eliminates the mistake of assuming that vct is mds.

Also $2250 seems pricey. I have seen them routinely on craigslist for $1000-1500 albeit not with 22k miles. Make sure you get the wiring harness, computer, and throttle pedal assembly with it for that price tag.

Do you think a better option would be to go through an engine builder and have them build me a stock 5.7? That way I know I'm not dealing with a lemon. I was thinking of going with an aftermarket harness anyway, but I agree at that price it should include the stock one and the computer.

Personally I don't advocate paying people to do anything so I may be a bit biased. My method of choice would be to find one for sale cheap as a core, replace any damaged parts, have the heads rebuilt by a reputable shop and build it yourself. Take your time and do it by the book.

Or buy a stroker kit and some hp parts and build a mild upgrade over stock. But if you are going to get wild with your build I suggest either a megasquirt controller, FAST injection system or go carb. The stock computer can be tuned but is probably more costly if you get crazy.

I managed to get extremely lucky with my engine and got the whole thing ready to run with computer and stock harness for under 1k. (craigslist) and then thanks to a certain member on here my hotwire harness ended up being significantly cheaper used. But these results are untypical but possible.

If i were doing it again I would probably do what I said, get a core, build a stroker with a mean cam, throw an indy mod man intake and 6 pak setup on it and run the msd hemi 6 controller....but that would require a lease on my soul to the devil to pay for.

People get VVT (VCT) MDS Confused all the time, To the OP if you can get the vin # I can research for you exactly what that motor is.
Price for the motor is not bad I have seen them sell for more and less with about the same mileage. As for engine management not sure if you have seen it we have released a complete plug and play system that is completely tunable with a hand held tuner (Diablosport)

Give us a call if you have any questions

Thanks

Dave Weber (moderm muscle) is a wealth of info, so pick his brain if ya got questions.

Thanks for the replies! I haven't heard anything back from that wrecker so I've been looking at other options. The most recent I've found is from a wrecker a couple hours away from me. Here is the info from car-part.com:

Year : 2004
Model : Dodge Truck 1500
Part : Engine
HollanderR* InterchangeR* #: 8157
Stock Number : PEACEVIEW
Mileage : 19,251 m, 31,000km
Description : 5.7 RUNS EX SEE NOTES FOR SPECKS
Part Price : Call

When I requested a quote, here is the email I received:

"Hey there thanks for the email on the 5.7 hemi it has 31000 km on it runs
like a top no issues at all. Just need to get compression specs on it but if
its all good that engine there is 2995. come with a 4 month warranty.this
engine is still in the truck so we would need a day or so to prepare it for
you, thanks again for the email and look forward to hearing back from you in
the future. Thanks a lot shawn."

That price is certainly on the higher side, and I have no sure way of knowing the engine hasn't been abused. It could also be months before I find someone that can help me install it so the "warranty" would be worthless anyway. Since I have no way of doing the work myself, I'm currently looking for a shop around here to work with. What do you guys think? If the engine really has no problems then it's probably a great deal. I will see if the harness, computer and engine accessories will be included.

Another response when I asked some questions:

"I can definetly do the video of it running as for vin all I have is the frame a bare cab with the motor and trans still in tact. It was a roll over. Weve already ha it running just haven’t gotten around to doin specs yet."

Hmm...

You know what, I'm going to get a quote from these guys on a remanufactured 5.7 HEMI. They are pretty darn close to where I am.

http://www.canadaengines.com/list_of_engines.html

Looks like they offer pretty much any engine I could want!

19k on an 04 seems a bit fishy, either its been sitting for a long time or its been replaced. My 04 Ram does not have MDS but does have an EGR valve. My 03 in my Coronet did not come with EGR but of course that's an easy delete.

Modern Muscle, Do you have a link to your stand alone system. I'd like to see that. Is it a stock computer based system or a custom setup tunable to any modification?

19k on an 04 seems a bit fishy, either its been sitting for a long time or its been replaced. My 04 Ram does not have MDS but does have an EGR valve. My 03 in my Coronet did not come with EGR but of course that's an easy delete.

Modern Muscle, Do you have a link to your stand alone system. I'd like to see that. Is it a stock computer based system or a custom setup tunable to any modification?

Here is a link
http://hemiswapshop.com/products/electronics/drive-by-wire-engine-managment-systems/Default.aspx

Since we base the system off a factory PCM custom tuning is available VIA Diablo Hand Held tuner and CMR.
So you can run heads and cam combo's and superchargers ect...

I don't want to bogart the thread but I have to say its pretty cool that you have one for the eagle.

Auto Transport Service
Back