• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 hemi involved in a fire

Jayson

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
I been looking for a cheap engine to build along with my car. So I found a 03 5.7 but was involved in a truck fire. It looks like from the picture the intake is melted and some other stuff is no good. But I'm lookin for block, heads, timing cover basic stuff. Plan on rebuilding any engine I find with all new internals. I offered 500 for engine and transmission. I'm already assuming that every thing on the out is trash. But if any thing else maybe works as a core for another engine off eBay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 480
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 476
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 461
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 459
Hey sir, check out Craigslist, I've seen a few 5.7 Hemi's there. I think you would be better off finding one with less damage.

So the junk yard is firm at their $2000 price. Don't wanna move off it much. So ill keep on the search. Not worth the risk to me to buy.

I have check craiglist but I only did a local search. Did t think about a broader Search Thanks for the tip.

Just a FYI heads are aluminum and most companies included us see cores that are sent to us for exchange show any fire damage or warping we will not accept them.

- - - Updated - - -

So the junk yard is firm at their $2000 price. Don't wanna move off it much. So ill keep on the search. Not worth the risk to me to buy.

I have check craiglist but I only did a local search. Did t think about a broader Search Thanks for the tip.

2k for that POS is to much I have seen complete running drive trains for less

Agree 100% with Modern Muscle & Satman72 this hunk of junk P.O.S isn't worth it.
Maybe for 200.00 sure.
Seen many for sale for less than that

Just stay away from fire vehicles...not much to get out of that thing but scrap value.

Some very vauleable points. I guess ll just keep on my search. Everything I found around phoenix AZ people want $2500 or more. At that price I starting to wonder if I'd better off gettin a reman long block for 2k and then just peice every thing together for parts from junk yards and ebay. Any advice or experience has going that route. I guess at least ill wont be out much money at FRIST and can just get other parts as money allows

A burn engine is worth nothing. then add that it is aluminum, 90 percent chance everything is junk. Stay away!
The block is cast iron. Only the heads are aluminium. Only the block is probably still good. Heads could be, but there might be some warping. As it is, thats probably worth no more than 200 bucks, just for the block.

Some how, I guess with me ask around and through all the channels of car guys and motorcycle guys that I know. This came up

I just got off the phone from some random guy that heard from somebody that told I was looking for a 5.7 hemi.

So he calls me and tells me that he has a engine core. ( being in Arizona speaking English is not some peoples first language) so 30 mins on the phone with this guy. This is what I understand. He says the engine was over heated and once it cooled off It lost compression in one cylinder. So he seems to think the piston rings are broke. When he was tellin me this I was sitting there thinking WTF is this guy talking about. And he tells me that he would sell the complete engine for $750

After I got off the phone with this guy I started thinking. At first I was thinking crack head or hole in the block. But then I was thinking what if it's just a blown head gasket. What's the thoughts of this engine

i do plan on rebuilding any engine I get. Don't care if it has 1mile or 100k miles. Just so that I know what's in it and what kind of shape the engine is in.

Last edited:
That deal sounds good. Go get it and since your gonna rebuild it, don't worry why it lost compression.

That deal sounds good. Go get it and since your gonna rebuild it, don't worry why it lost compression.

5.7 I just worried about crack or hole block, crack head

i read you whole thread about your car 56 pages it took me almost 10 hours to read every post. Car looks great. And a google search come up with your thread and I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks just reading threads and yours is my favorite build so far.

Thanks for the compliment. Heads are no big deal, the block is your concern. As long as there isn't a hole in it, most likely the rings took a dump.

The big deal with overheating these are dropped valve seats. More than likely that is holding thevalve open. A good shop can put new seats in the heads but do all of them to be safe. Block should be just fine and more than likely so is the rotating assembly. I'd buy that one.

Ok called the guy and ill going to go check it out Saturday. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Auto Transport Service
Back