• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.9 Cummins owners?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
My work truck ('01 Ram 5.9 24v, 276k miles) needs a water pump. It seems to me I've done this not too long ago, so I want to avoid getting another crap pump (I don't remember what I got, but I was on a time crunch and I suspect it was a $50 NAPA special). It isn't too hard - release the serpentine belt, remove 2 bolts, and out it comes - but I'm tired of this truck leaking stuff; I just rebuilt the vacuum pump that was pissing oil, and now it's dribbling coolant. Grr. But given the mileage...I guess I'll suck it up lol.

Anyone have any suggestions on a replacement unit? Should I go Cummins, or are there known-good aftermarket "heavy duty" replacements out there? I'm going to stay away from the house brand stuff like Cardone, of course. Looking online, what appears to be the same damn Cummins part can range anywhere from $90, up to $299...odd, or they're not all Cummins parts. I'm also looking at places like Xtreme Diesel - they show a billet unit that looks nice, and I don't mind paying for an upgraded part...as long as it's actually an upgrade! I don't want to drop $300 just so I can say "it's billet"...if it isn't worth a **** in the end.

Yeah, I know Genos...they've accumulated a lot of my money over the years lol. I just read his article on "Cummins versus Gates pump"...didn't help the debate lol.

When I say "recently", I think it was 4 or 5 years ago now. I'll have to dig through my receipts, and look at my notes (the truck has sharpie notes all under hood, for what's been done and when - like "vac pump rebuild jan '23 274k", "HID headlights mar '11 187k" and "mech lift pump install sept '12 196k").

It ain't a show truck...and it helps me keep track.

0625211058_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Guess I was lucky... I just bought a cheap one from Advance when mine went out on the side of the road and it lasted years until I sold the truck.

Like you said, it's easy to replace. Easiest water pump I've ever dealt with.

I replaced my original with a Gates in September of 2000. It was $40. including shipping from Rock Auto. No problems so far, but I don't put a lot of miles on mine these days. Mine is also a 2001 with about 185k on it.

Geno’s Garage, order a Cummins pump. Or get this…Cummins Water Pump 5.9L | 6.7L

My Napa Gold pump has been going on 2 years now, no complaints about it for my 6.7 Cummins.
What he said. Also they have a publication that is quarterly, ONLY deals with 89 on cummins trucks. Turbo Diesel Registry aka, the TDR. Highly recommend you sign up for it. A wealth of no b/s, fluff information. Lots of info on fixes from average Joe's on our trucks and no fluff piece article to blow sunshine up some advertisers behind. If an advertiser puts out a crap product and doesn't stand behind it, they get the boot.

Cumminsforum is good too. But some of those whiny ******* (mainly the moderators) will give ya a “vacation” if THEY think you are being antagonistic. Only forum I’ve ever been on that gave me vacation. Oh, they don’t let anybody talk about “deleting”. Pussies!!

Rule number one: NEVER buy the "lifetime warranty" part.
Rule number two: Make sure what you get is EXACTLY the same as the core you are turning in if your core is a factory part.

How to buy a box store replacement part:
Ask what is available. Ask them if they know the country of origin. If all they sell is parts with a "warranty" go to the next store.
Buy the part that looks exactly like your core, from a country you trust, that costs at least more then the mid point of what is available. No warranty is the best, you pay for the quality up front in the item price. Buying a warranty part is like them telling you straight up it is going to fail.
Lifetime warranty means the manufacturer will have you returning like a subscription to get your prorated replacement over and over. They aren't standing behind their work or pledging quality that will last, they are signing you up for their monthly repair subscription. How many free water pumps do you want to replace?

I have had decent luck with NAPA (insert the somewhat higher price version here) versions of parts as a general rule. Buy batteries made by East Penn. "Name brand" is meaningless now. Find out who actually made the thing. It's hard, and annoying, but a few hours digging will save you a few hours sitting on the side of the road later, or at least give you more service life.

Yeah, I know Genos...they've accumulated a lot of my money over the years lol. I just read his article on "Cummins versus Gates pump"...didn't help the debate lol.

When I say "recently", I think it was 4 or 5 years ago now. I'll have to dig through my receipts, and look at my notes (the truck has sharpie notes all under hood, for what's been done and when - like "vac pump rebuild jan '23 274k", "HID headlights mar '11 187k" and "mech lift pump install sept '12 196k").

It ain't a show truck...and it helps me keep track.

View attachment 1426947
What a nice truck!
I live in the salt belt in WI. That truck would sell for $20k+ here.

Never had a problem with my water pump as much as replacing the injection pump 3 times on my 01...$$$$.
My Documents 005.JPG

2 crumbling dash's issues also at 168K

My Documents 002.JPG

Last edited:
I capped my dash years ago, looks great, no holes.

Replaced 2 lift pumps pre-failure (gotta have a gauge!) and then I replaced the system for good with this:

Fuel System & Related - Fuel Boss Pumps & Accy's - Fuel Boss Mechanical Lift Pump Systems

Mechanical drive, off the crank. More rpm = more inlet pressure for the injection pump. Cruising down the highway I'm pushing 22psi into the injector pump inlet; 16psi at idle. Haven't looked back.

Last edited:
I had a heck of a time on my 6.7. 2 napa's, one carquest is a year. Bought a DELCO Gold with a steel impeller. Been a year now, don't waste your time on the plastic ones. Cummins has went to plastic impellers on all there pumps. Replaced one on a 8.3 cummins. Original was steel impeller...replacement from cummins...plastic.

I replaced my original with a Gates in September of 2000. It was $40. including shipping from Rock Auto. No problems so far, but I don't put a lot of miles on mine these days. Mine is also a 2001 with about 185k on it.
I’ve put 54k miles on my Gates water pump on my 7.3 since replacing my original. So far so good.

Well...installed the FlowKooler on Sunday. Rainy and crappy Monday, so no shakedown run to work then (wouldn't be able to see any leaks on a wet parking lot). Dead battery yesterday (left my cargo lights on, duh). All charged up now, drove to work today. Normally the temp would hit 190 easy on the way to work (20 min run through country roads) - not today! Barely cracked 150, and that's with the cold front 3/4 closed (more like 5/8 closed, actually). DEFINITELY flowing better!

The old one, once I had it on the bench and could check it out, had a bearing failure. The pulley and shaft have a LOT of wiggle to them. Doesn't look like it was enough to cause the impeller to hit anything (no marks), but it really wobbles. Hopefully this one will do better. I do remember when I installed the last one, I also installed a tensioner because the old tensioner was notchy/crunchy and when the engine was running I could see it "clicking" through positions. Hopefully it isn't set for the wrong tension, and that's what killed the last pump...but we'll see.

Now to figure out if I should leave the orange Dex-cool in the system...or flush it and change it back to good ol' Green Death coolant...

Auto Transport Service
Back