• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No oil presser to rockers

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
OK, this is a rebuild, I stopped assembling at the long block plus the oil pan. I primed the oil pump with vasoline, added five quarts of oil. And turned the pump with a shaft and drill. Nothing coming up to either side of the rockers. I did have oil flow at the sending unit port. A little history, I had some shop put cam bearings in and they miss aligned the oil holes in number four. So I carefully drilled them out. My question is before I button this up, does the crankshaft have to be at a specific location to get oil on the upper end?

Thanks

Yes turn the crank while priming, the cam has a weird oil passage does one side at a time.

1695028413403.png

yes turn the crank as the hole lines up oil will come out the rockers turn more to get the other side

The oil feed to the rockers is intermittent , not constant. As said, rotate the engine assembly while priming and you should see oil.

I went through this on saturday.. i was slowly turning the engine by hand while spinning the pump.. i ended up taking off the rock hold downs over the oil holes so i could see when i had found the right spot.. then it flooded the top nicely..

Thanks everyone, I wasn't hot on putting her in till I found out why.

And as you slowly turn the crank you will hear it starting to gurgle up.....let that side flood with oil then turn the crank until you can hear the other side gurgle.

Auto Transport Service
Back