• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

505 Trick Flow 270 Build

I am lost. I'm guessing that Mopar big block intake ports are a lot smaller than (brand ???)
Why is it that they can be "so much smaller than" other manufacturers and yet put out competitive or superior performance overall?
I don't want to hijack, but I am really curious and want to learn.
They put out competitive numbers to other similar heads but that’s where it ends. When you start comparing big blocks, a streetable 850hp pump gas BBC is pretty easy to build. You can’t do that in our Mopar world.

My builder had a set of Chevy small block sb2 heads, he claimed they flowed over 450cfm. I guess that’s not all that uncommon in the Chevy world

My builder had a set of Chevy small block sb2 heads, he claimed they flowed over 450cfm. I guess that’s not all that uncommon in the Chevy world
There’s 900hp SB2 small blocks out there... it’s crazy. The Mopar stuff just hasn’t evolved much. Most Mopar guys just aren’t focused on performance.

There’s 900hp SB2 small blocks out there... it’s crazy. The Mopar stuff just hasn’t evolved much. Most Mopar guys just aren’t focused on performance.
I think those heads are around 2500 each bare? Ya it’s crazy what they’ve done with those small blocks.

Well if it comes down to pissing contests and what you say is true, are we as MOPAR nation citizens left at that much of a disadvantage vs the "other" brands?
That's pretty disconcerting....
I'm looking for a ray of hope here without having to fall back on "well Mopar has the "hemi"....
I thought our big blocks were contenders to run up against any other brand, but that's not what I'm getting from this sidebar. :(

Welp put it this way, stock block vs stock block say 454 vs 440 as far as power potential goes I’d say the 454 runs away with it fairly easily. Unfortunate but that’s the way it is, the mopar performance market was out of the loop for so long, Chevy R&D really never stopped and it shows. Bright side, we have the hemi which just about every Nhra champ runs.

Well if it comes down to pissing contests and what you say is true, are we as MOPAR nation citizens left at that much of a disadvantage vs the "other" brands?
That's pretty disconcerting....
I'm looking for a ray of hope here without having to fall back on "well Mopar has the "hemi"....
I thought our big blocks were contenders to run up against any other brand, but that's not what I'm getting from this sidebar. :(
It’s not really a pissing contest. We’re 3 feet short of the urinal when it comes to power production among big blocks. We have things like the Predator heads that’ll come close, but you could buy two sets of SR20 BBC heads for that money. The demand just isn’t there to bring options to market for the mopar big blocks. We need to appreciate the Trick Flow offerings. They’re affordable and make great power.

I guess in the arena I do battle in I'll be ok.
Boulevard Bruiser is my niche.
I'm confident that I'll hit my target for HP and torque, (6XX) and in that range, I will be a contender for what competition I may choose or may choose me.
Thanks

I guess in the arena I do battle in I'll be ok.
Boulevard Bruiser is my niche.
I'm confident that I'll hit my target for HP and torque, (6XX) and in that range, I will be a contender for what competition I may choose or may choose me.
Thanks
You’ll hit your target just fine. If one of those contenders is sporting a 1000hp SR20 headed 632, stay home that evening lol.

Waiting for plugs, wires and pushrods.

048909A3-4554-46AD-A5B5-5937B2DE79B0.jpeg 100CB1C3-17D7-47D1-BF84-F175F568E09A.jpeg 5D7222EC-3F06-4AEA-A6C2-BC2769A9D363.jpeg

I have the same carb on my 512. Is that a 4710?

Drilled out the big transfer slot restrictions, tapped them for 10-32 set screws and shrunk them down. Went down to 2 emulsion holes on the blocks. Moved the IFR’s to the bottom of the blocks. A few small changes on the air bleeds. I have it all written down. I can send you a pic of the tune up tomorrow if you’re interested. Really cleaned it up and made a nice running carb.

Drilled out the big transfer slot restrictions, tapped them for 10-32 set screws and shrunk them down. Went down to 2 emulsion holes on the blocks. Moved the IFR’s to the bottom of the blocks. A few small changes on the air bleeds. I have it all written down. I can send you a pic of the tune up tomorrow if you’re interested. Really cleaned it up and made a nice running carb.
Yeah I’ll PM you my phone number

I have an AED as well that I dyno’d the motor with originally. It has just been rebuilt since the dyno. Figure I will save it for the 572.
This 4710 is the carb I used when I used to run spray. It’s been a decent carb. Will see how it is in a couple weeks.

Mine just went back in today . Ran cam in , now to re fit inner valve springs and road test .
Reused the 270 heads
Tex

Auto Transport Service
Back