• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

545RFE trans tunnel and other questions

Dave, I did my build the same as you. Battery in the trunk. There are a few ways to make it work but I ran the 1/0 wire direct from the battery to an insulated buss stud I mounted to one of the mounting bolts for the brake booster stiffener plate. That eliminated the starter relay. I then ran a #4 wire to the starter, a #8 wire to the alternator and since I separated the red and black wires going to the amp gauge and replaced the amp gauge with a volt meter, I ended up with two circuits under the dash. I had a #14 & #16 fusible link that I also ran from that buss stud to the red and black wire spades on the bulkhead connector. I didn't want any more amperage going through the bulkhead connector than needed so I used a relay harness powered off of the alternator stud to feed the headlights circuits and my electric fans. Here is a pic of the buss stud and wires.

100_8316.JPG

Cars almost ready finally. Doing the final wiring and had some questions. I am relocating the battery to the trunk. The plan was to run the positive lead (1ga) through the care and through a hole near the column. From there it should go to the starter? Then from that terminal to the old starter relay and into the car? Should I fuse protect the line coming from the starter to the old relay terminal? Additionally the new harness did not come with a positive lead from the alternator. I would need to run a new connector from the old wire to fit the new terminal and a second line to the starter terminal due to the amps or would one thicker wire, I was thinking 8 or 10ga? This is the fun part of the build.
I did a buss stud also with the 0 gauge coming through the inner quarter, with insulated clamps holding it in place. The buss stud powers everything in new fuse block I added and the starter on the engine side. I also run my 8gauge alternator return to the stud also!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Do you have another stud under the hood? Or how are you getting power through the firewall?
It's a through firewall power stud, you drill a hole and the stud is insulated where it sticks through the firewall. So my power stud is on both sides of the firewall and hidden by my manifold.

It's a through firewall power stud, you drill a hole and the stud is insulated where it sticks through the firewall. So my power stud is on both sides of the firewall and hidden by my manifold.
Neat. Didn't know they even made them.

Are those two black or gray wires fusible links feeding your under dash wiring?

Yes they are kind of a blue-ish gray... Now on the engine side the wires are black but not because their ground, simply because the parts store didn't have the proper colored wire...

Having a Summit racing about 10mims away makes life easier. I picked up a bulkhead connector since the cables coming through the car. Drilled a hole through the old starter relay spot. Having a connector on both side will also allow me to clean up engine bay wiring.

20170719_115127.jpg 20170719_115442.jpg 20170719_115544.jpg

Starter and alt connections. Battery on other side.

20170719_175049.jpg

Fabricated shift linkage. Had to go to Pick n Pull for am assortment. Don't mind the weld. Didn't grind it down.

20170719_170329.jpg

Ah man, look at that pigeon ****! Lol!!

What did you guys use for an air cleaner? Do the 5.7 and 6.1 have the air temp sensor and oil breather connections also?

What did you guys use for an air cleaner? Do the 5.7 and 6.1 have the air temp sensor and oil breather connections also?
Here is a pic of mine. They all have the air temp sensor and oil breather connections. I bought mine on ebay. Had to do some some mods to the tube for my application. They don't make it easy for us.

100_8147.JPG

My problem is the throttle body is not straight out like the 6.1.

20170724_100947.jpg

Get some aluminum tubing and make what ya need. There are bends and straights, and have them tig welded together after you have cut and clocked the pieces together.

Any suggestions on a weld in bung for the air charge sensor? I guess its the "long" one i need. Ultimaterly thats been the hardest part.

20170724_133413.jpg

Here is a pic of mine. They all have the air temp sensor and oil breather connections. I bought mine on ebay. Had to do some some mods to the tube for my application. They don't make it easy for us.

View attachment 493020

Is that a factory p/s pump? If So is that the factory resevoir?

Also does Mopar or kn offer a full cold air kit for them? I know some of the later utilize the factory tube and just a filter element? I am just gonna use a factory Mopar cai, it already has the ports.

Auto Transport Service
Back