• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

572-13 Indy Heads or B1 Brodix?

joe34

Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
Building up a 572CI Mopar after market block, 4.500 in.4.500 stroke, deciding on either 572-13 Indy heads or B1 Brodix heads. Have heard pro's and con's on both brands.
Going in 68 Charger drag use only.

Stay away from the indy 572-13's and go with the B1's.
no respect for the indy product. plus youll make alot more power with a B1 original, MC, or PSO B1 HEAD.
I'M squeezing every drop of power out of my 572-13's to make a little over 1000 hp.
with a cnc b1 ported you can make well over that easily.
plus you wont have to deal with indy's horrible customer service and hit or miss castings.

What kind of expectations do you have ??, what class are you going for ??, N/A or Boosted ?? I think the Indy heads have a larger port volume 365cc or 385cc volume not CFM IIRC, the Brodix were smaller volume not sure off hand, but capable of being 400cfm flow after porting, either one can be made to work, I think it depends on your choice of head porters/engine builders recommendations, they both require expensive special specific components, pistons, rockers, intakes, push-rod, valves, springs, valley pan etc., I haven't run the Indy 572 H1 -13 yet, I did run the Brodix B1's years ago, not sure if they are even remotely the same head castings today, they were a great choice when I ran them, but were kind of the only game in town, back in the late 90's too... I'm pretty sure you can get them both in a CNC ported configuration to suit your specific needs... My old friend & head Porter Mark Lowe really liked them, may he Rest In Peace... Maybe IQ52 Jim {a professional head Porter/Engine builder}, will chime in here, he may know which is the better choice... I'd call & talk to both parties Indy & Brodix, talk to them & see what's all involved, the availability & customer support & the actual costs differences, port volumes, specialty parts, then weight the pros & cons... Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

I think SSR was doing a set of the 600 or 572 series {not sure which now} from Indy, I think IQ52 was going to be doing/porting a set up or something if IRC...

I have both the indy 572-13's, 440-1's and B1 heads. my B1's flow well over 400 @.900 lift compared to [email protected] on my 572-13's.this is off of a 588 ci motor. 4.50 bore

also why would you want to deal with indy at any level. they treat you terribly, there indy maxx blocks need a lot of work to make them right.
I will never buy another indy product again.

its KB for a block, stage V heads for hemi
B1 for wedges.

B1 for wedges.[/QUOTE]

I'll drink to that!

My vote would be for the B1s. I always wanted to try the Predetor heads, but with Indy involved, I'll pass.

B1 for wedges.

I'll drink to that!

My vote would be for the B1s. I always wanted to try the Predetor heads, but with Indy involved, I'll pass.[/QUOTE]

exactly, I even had a opportunity for a insane 600-13 indy headed indy maxx block set up for NSS for a real good price and I passed.
B1 TS Head instead with a KB Block. felt great not having to give indy another penny.

I'll drink to that!

My vote would be for the B1s. I always wanted to try the Predetor heads, but with Indy involved, I'll pass.

exactly, I even had a opportunity for a insane 600-13 indy headed indy maxx block set up for NSS for a real good price and I passed.
B1 TS Head instead with a KB Block. felt great not having to give indy another penny.[/QUOTE]

You know that the stealth heads are the way to real power!

B1 TS Head instead with a KB Block. felt great not having to give indy another penny.

You know that the stealth heads are the way to real power![/QUOTE]

maybe some stage 6 heads too.:toothy9:

How do you think the edelbrock victor max wedge heads would do against the B1? I have a set fully cnc ported and with a better angle job done on the seats are going above 400cfm.

IQ52 Jim one of our members here showed some really good #'s with some Edelbrock Victor Heads {IIRC I think his were regular port not the Max Wedge too}, it really depends on who did the porting, how good the short block is, what pistons & bore size, camshaft springs retainers, what size valves, titanium or SST & the induction above them &/or the exhaust headers too & where the power is made etc., but I've seen some really impressive #'s out of them, real world #'s not some inflated BS #'s that you will hear sometimes, they are good heads for the mid range price point...

How do you think the edelbrock victor max wedge heads would do against the B1? I have a set fully cnc ported and with a better angle job done on the seats are going above 400cfm.

I will NEVER deal with Indy again. I thought it was just me on the "worse than horrible" customer service. They treat you like yeah, yeah just give me your money and go away!

Go with the B1

I will NEVER deal with Indy again. I thought it was just me on the "worse than horrible" customer service. They treat you like yeah, yeah just give me your money and go away!

Go with the B1

I was just talking about this on Tuesday. Russ seems to have bipolar disorder, and treats everyone like they know nothing. he's always right.
They go through employees like I change my socks. That has to a horrible place to work at.
And they cant seem to get an order correct.

Very good feedback from you guys about the Indy 572-13 heads vs the Brodix B1. I'm planning to use the B1's. Looks like Koffels is having their annual winter sale. The only concern on the B1's is that I'm told they don't return oil back to the pan very well and they need return lines from the front and rear of the heads to help return oil back in the pan. Is this true and what's that look like. Any insites would be helpful. Indy is hiring now if anyone is interest. lol.

How quick do you want to go? I'm assuming you are taking B-1 original and not B-1 BS. The Indy's are a true bolt on. The B-1 needs oil drain back and specific intake manifold. The Edelbrock Victor have rocker fit and push rod clearance issues. All will work. The key ishow well they're ported. I would never deal direct with Indy, instead go with a dealer. Although I'm not a fan of Indy I do run their stuff. I don't run 572-13 but my car runs very well with -1 Indy's. 9.12@147/3340lbs,10.5 tire. This is with 2 750 Eddy carbs on a 440-25 Indy cross ram, a single 4 would be quicker.
Doug

Last edited:
How quick do you want to go? I'm assuming you are taking B-1 original and not B-1 BS. The Indy's are a true bolt on. The B-1 needs oil drain back and specific intake manifold. The Edelbrock Victor have rocker fit and push rod clearance issues. All will work. The key ishow well they're ported. I would never deal direct with Indy, instead go with a dealer. Although I'm not a fan of Indy I do run their stuff. I don't run 572-13 but my car runs very well with -1 Indy's. 9.12@147/3340lbs,10.5 tire. This is with 2 750 Eddy carbs on a 440-25 Indy cross ram, a single 4 would be quicker.
Doug

Thanks Doug. Some good insight. Yes the B1 original is what I was seriously considering. I'm having some trouble locking down Koffels on pricing though. Wierd!! Truthly I've not used either product and everyone has their own opinion which is fine. How fast do I want to go? I want to go low 10's at an altitude of 4500' (corrected to over 6000') with my heavy 63 Plymouth Fury HT all steel car. It's a full interior car with custom Chrome Molly roll bar, Cal-tracs, frame rails tied, and a Dana 60. The car weighs 3900# with me inside it. I don't need it in the 9's. I was thinking a 4.50 bore x 4.50 stroke with 7.1 rods and custom Diamonds @ 13.5-1. I realize the head choice and CNC porting is extremely critical for the results I'm looking for. I don't mind paying fmv for an excellant product but man it gets confusing in making choices when there there are so many differnt opinions and experiences. The opinions on Indy are especially all over the board. One consistent thing I've heard is to NOT ever deal with Indy directly and that they go through employees like rolls of toilet paper. I'm open to anyone's ideas or suggestions.

Has anyone ever heard of an engine builder named Cab Burge? Originally from southern California and lives and builds race motors in Bend, Oregon.. Thanks guys!!

B1 is a great cylinder head.

Ray

Thanks Doug. Some good insight. Yes the B1 original is what I was seriously considering. I'm having some trouble locking down Koffels on pricing though. Wierd!! Truthly I've not used either product and everyone has their own opinion which is fine. How fast do I want to go? I want to go low 10's at an altitude of 4500' (corrected to over 6000') with my heavy 63 Plymouth Fury HT all steel car. It's a full interior car with custom Chrome Molly roll bar, Cal-tracs, frame rails tied, and a Dana 60. The car weighs 3900# with me inside it. I don't need it in the 9's. I was thinking a 4.50 bore x 4.50 stroke with 7.1 rods and custom Diamonds @ 13.5-1. I realize the head choice and CNC porting is extremely critical for the results I'm looking for. I don't mind paying fmv for an excellant product but man it gets confusing in making choices when there there are so many differnt opinions and experiences. The opinions on Indy are especially all over the board. One consistent thing I've heard is to NOT ever deal with Indy directly and that they go through employees like rolls of toilet paper. I'm open to anyone's ideas or suggestions.

Has anyone ever heard of an engine builder named Cab Burge? Originally from southern California and lives and builds race motors in Bend, Oregon.. Thanks guys!!

No problem. Glad to help!!! :sSig_thanks: :fart:

I was thinking about buying Indy heads.

Auto Transport Service
Back