• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

572 Hemi Race Engine

Justin Smith

Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a new project here soon. I have an opportunity to buy either a 1968 Dodge Dart SS/AH chassis, or a 1964 Plymouth Belvedere back half NSS chassis. My goal is to build a Hemi for this car and race in the SNDR NSS class, NMCA FX classes, and other nostalgia super stock classes. On off weekends I'd like to bracket race it. My goal for the 1/8th Mile is to run 5.60s, and around 8.80s in the 1/4 mile. My question is for the block, I can't decide if I should get a cast block or an aluminum block. I will be running aluminum heads. what do y'all think? any combinations already close to this? any other suggestions?

Justin

If your starting from scratch "A thousand here a thousand there pretty soon your talking real money. Speed costs money how fast you want to go.

I remember Nos guru Monte Smith saying that for really fast cars (i think he was talking about mid 4sec eighth cars) a little more frontend weight bias was desirable. With good traction and LOTS of power it made chassis tuning and avoiding power wheelstands easier.
Good thing i'll never have that kind of problem. I'm gonna try to make my weak garbage as light as possible.

To go that quick and bracket race it it needs to be light. Unless you want a motor thaty you service every 100 passes. There's a few guys in N/SS that are close Jake 68's brother Joe, Mike Schaefer's Dart. If I got mine down to 2900-3000 it could do it.
Doug

My 70 Challenger runs 8.30s in the 1/4 mile, 5.20s in the 1/8th. its a 557 wedge engine that we built at the race car shop I worked for years ago. My challenger is full mild steel 2x3 tube chassis, weighs 2780 with me in it. unfortunately it does not qualify me to race in any nostalgia super stock class. I want to sell my 1970 Challenger turn key, it is a very consistent bracket car, would be a killer Super Gas/Super Comp car, I just have no interest racing in them classes. If i am not mistaking, the lightest the weight can be is 3000lb I believe in the NMCA FX classes. I know Hemis are alot heavier than wedge engines, which in turn tends to mean i may have to build a little bit bigger engine/probably an aluminum block. I want it to be a Hemi on this build for nostalgia reasons/ I have always wanted to race Hemi's.

I run NMCA A/FX. No minimum weight in NMCA. 10.5 tire limit. No starting line chip, no trans brake, no Dominators. I've only ever seen 1 or 2 cars in NMCA that ran AAA/FX index (8.75). Your current motor sounds pretty stout for a bracket piece.
Doug

Last edited:
I run NMCA A/FX. No minimum weight in NMCA. 10.5 tire limit. No starting line chip, No trans brake. I've only ever seen 1 or 2 cars in NMCA that ran AAA/FX index. Your current motor sounds pretty stout for a bracket piece.
Doug

Thank you, The engine sure did surprise us when we dyno'd it. we were shooting for 900hp. With one 1250 alcohol carburetor, the Indy 440-1 heads, we managed to squeeze right at 945 hp and 870 ft lbs of torque. when we assembled the engine, the guys who flowed the heads and design the camshaft for it really did some scientist s#$& in the process. it has actually been a very reliable engine. I had no major issues, occasional oil leak. I changed the oil in it every 20 passes due to alcohol. when i freshened the engine up, bearings looked brand new and cylinders looked great. Engine is fresh now, I haven't been able to get back to the track yet

If the NSS rules allow aluminum, that’s what I’d run...

From what I have seen in the rules, it can be any material, but it must be painted. I do believe I am going to go with an aluminum block.

Auto Transport Service
Back