• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 (and '63, '64?) parking brake cables

62 Dart Convertible

Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
I am about to order some parts from US and thought I'd add new parking brake cables to my cart - the 2 cables to the rear drums and the intermediate cable. (It must be said, most manuf. parts lists for these early B-Bodies are incomplete and full of mistakes. The fact that '62 Dart was a b-body, then '63 onwards Dart was an A-body seems to have caused confusion. I usually search as Polara as it's less problematic).

Anyway, Dorman list intermediate cable as either C92464 at 56.88" or C92166 at 56.57", which is similar to mine fitted - no problem.

Dorman parts lists rear cable part no C92205 with a conduit length of 20.07" and cable length of 29.41". Question - By cable length, do they mean how much cable protrudes from the conduit which is in my case around 29" (or overall cable length end to end, which in my case is around 50")?

I just want to be sure B4 ordering...
20170819_160304.jpg
20170819_160311.jpg

For my 63 Belvedere I ordered #RSBCR01 from Summit Racing. This a complete set from parking brake lever to rear axle. They show 2 one in steel the other in Stainless. Worked for me as mine were missing and this was a complete set.

Well the conduit lenth and cable lenth you posted add up to almost 50". So the 29" must be what protrudes.

I would think that these cars are all going to be pretty close in lenth for the rears. I know both on my '62 are the same.

You use "Polara", I'll double check useing 330, 440 and even Plymouth.

Looked it up on NAPA's site under 1962 Polara and all they show is the intermediate cable. Changed the search to 1962 Dart and it's listed. (With the same measurements) I believe most of the plastic coated ones are made by Raybestos and are avaliable, just not the correct look.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBK92205

Same part number for Raybestos
https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-BC92205-Professional-Grade-Parking/dp/B000FFGLHG

Agree, lots of conflicting listings. Why wouldn't the Dart be the same as Polara for 1962?

Last edited:
I converted my 65 Dodge to the 66 and later system to get away from running a cable under center of car. I see 62 Dart conv has the double holed bracket for rear cable. I mounted a bracket for front cable to the trans crossmember. Made a rod to connect front cable to the e brake cable connector. No cable going over exhaust system.

Well the conduit lenth and cable lenth you posted add up to almost 50". So the 29" must be what protrudes.

I would think that these cars are all going to be pretty close in lenth for the rears. I know both on my '62 are the same.

You use "Polara", I'll double check useing 330, 440 and even Plymouth.

So do your parking brake cable lengths/layout look similar to mine KK?

I converted mine to the later setup.
In picture you'll see an l bracket where rod from front cable goes through. On the l bracket is a 1/2" fuel line clamp with a 3/8 piece of plastic pipe inside. It holds the rod up and allows the plastic pipe to slide easily. It's a little ham and eggie but works. I'll have to look into why the rear cable bracket is horizontal. Mounted front cable to a bracket on the trans crossmember. Mounted a rear cable bracket to a piece of angle iron and that was bolted to trans crossmember. Used a connecting nut and jamb nuts to connect the front cable to threaded rod.
rb4.jpg
rb2.jpg
rb1.jpg
rb.jpg

Well my worst fears came true - I finally went to fit the rear brake cables to find that Dorman C92205 which are listed as for '62 Dart DO NOT FIT. Will Rockauto accept a return beyond 30 days? I'll find out....

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-11081-c92205.aspx
They shouldn't have them listed as fitting a '62.

Yes that is now clear. The NAPA part you linked to in post 4 also incorrectly states it fits '62 Dart.

For my 63 Belvedere I ordered #RSBCR01 from Summit Racing. This a complete set from parking brake lever to rear axle. They show 2 one in steel the other in Stainless. Worked for me as mine were missing and this was a complete set.

The Right Stuff list this as for '63 - 65 B-Body. Should this not include '62, or are they different?!

The Right Stuff list this as for '63 - 65 B-Body. Should this not include '62, or are they different?
I'm not sure if they're different or not. There are so many listings out there for '63 - '65 that are the same for '62. Another research to do!

I'm not confirming anything but I swapped a '70 Dana rear into a '64 that I had and I distinctly remember the cables on that rear were the same as the '64s. I didn't have to change them out.

We need to find a total cable lenth of around 50" for a start.

I ordered them as I wanted to replace the original rusty looking things with nice shiny new ones, not that it was entirely necessary... turned into a cluster F#@K.

RockAuto refused return as it has been longer that 30 days. C@#%S.

I'm on it. All of the adds that I'm seeing say for '62 and they are not right being 29". You can even see in their pics that there isn't enough cable showing out of the housing. Now for around $300. I've seen a complete kit with all the cables and they kind of look right. I don't depend on pictures either though.

Off topic, I'm looking for an original kickdown rod that goes from the rear carb to the trans like the one on your car.

I cleaned mine up on a fine wire wheel on the bench grinder. The galvanize was still there. Then I oiled them up real good.
I have a good layer of rust where the galvanising once was long ago....

Is kick down rod unique (shorter) for dual quad set up?! If so shortening a longer rod may be an option?

Auto Transport Service
Back