• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FRONT BRAKE SETUP 62 DART

Dan T

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
GOOD EVENING,

i AM RESTORING A 62 DART THAT HAS FRONT DISC BRAKES, FIRST QUESTION IS ARE THE OEM BRAKES ADEQUATE? IF SO, WHERE CAN I GET CALIPERS/ROTORS? I ALSO LOOKED AT UPGRADING TO AN AFTERMARKET SET UP WITH NEW SPINDLES AND ALL PARTS, EVERYTHING I LOOK UP SAYS IT WILL FIT, THEN CHANGES ITS MIND FOR SOME REASON. WOULD THE PARTS BE THE SAME AS A 62 BELVEDERE OR POLARA?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT

Front wheel spindles for drum brakes were the same on B-bodies from 1962-1970, and are interchangeable side to side with no geometry problems. I put a disc brake setup from a 1970 B-body on my 1964 Polara. This was done almost 40 years ago, when you could still find this stuff in local junk yards. Another Mopar setup that works is 1980's Diplomat/5th. Ave. disc brake parts. All you really need are the spindles, caliper brackets, and distribution block/proportion valve. Everything else is available affordably from RockAuto. This is likely the cheapest conversion to do. Make sure you get a master cylinder for disc brakes; it is different than drum brake.

There were no OEM disc brakes on a 62, and yes everything on 62 Polara 500 and Belvedere brake/spindle wise is interchangeable.

1980's Diplomat/5th. Ave.
Photos are 80's Dodge Diplomat parts.
Yes, Reuse the upper and lower control arms of the 62.Spindles can be bought new (Summit, Jegs)or used. All other parts are for a 80" Dodge Diplomat and can be sourced at local auto parts stores.
Show us what you have now. We may be able to tell the year(s) for calipers and rotors if that's all you need.

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

thanks for the info, the caliper on the car does look similar, here is a pic of the caliper

thanks againIMG_6771.jpg

IMG_6768.jpg

Looks like the pin type caliper from the 70's. I think thats what I put on my 70 Challenger when I did the disc swap. Used the 73- a-body spindle, Cordoba caliper, caliper mount and rotor. Could also use the slider caliper from the a-body and some others if I used the corresponding caliper mount. Great units, easily sourced service/wear parts.

Looks like the pin type caliper from the 70's. I think thats what I put on my 70 Challenger when I did the disc swap. Used the 73- a-body spindle, Cordoba caliper, caliper mount and rotor. Could also use the slider caliper from the a-body and some others if I used the corresponding caliper mount. Great units, easily sourced service/wear parts.
Thanks for the help, I will get one and see if it is a match

Auto Transport Service
Back