• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 max real or hot rod

moparsquid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:13 AM
Reaction score
i recently came accross a 62 max 413 car other than the engine compartment sighns (i have a 62 clone ) what else will tell me if its real would the the first 3 numbers be an indicater thats its real or a hot rod,thanks

You will need a copy of Darrel Davis's book. It has all the VIN numbers listed to verify a car.

Is it a Dodge or a Plymouth ?

First clue is the first two digits in the VIN, if it's not a Detroit V8 car it's not a MW. Second would be the fender tag.

There are several differences in a 62 Max Wedge car over a standard V8 car.
All V8 car's VIN will start with a 5
Under the hood the brake line from the master cylinder is different to clear the Max Wedge exhaust manifolds. There
is a heat shield for the master cylinder also but most of the time it is missing.
Also there is holes in the inner fenders to hold a longer wiring harness away from the exhaust manifolds along
with the voltage regulator relocated to clear the rear carb air cleaner.
The emergency brake cables will have 2 extra brackets to keep the cables off of the exhaust pipes.
The hood bracing will be cut and removed so the hood will shut with the air cleaners on.

Those are just a few that are easy to recognize.

You will need a copy of Darrel Davis's book. It has all the VIN numbers listed to verify a car.

Is it a Dodge or a Plymouth ?
it was a dodge owner was asking 15g add was up 1 day then taken off either the car was sold or he was imformed of a realistic price

There are several differences in a 62 Max Wedge car over a standard V8 car.
All V8 car's VIN will start with a 5
Under the hood the brake line from the master cylinder is different to clear the Max Wedge exhaust manifolds. There
is a heat shield for the master cylinder also but most of the time it is missing.
Also there is holes in the inner fenders to hold a longer wiring harness away from the exhaust manifolds along
with the voltage regulator relocated to clear the rear carb air cleaner.
The emergency brake cables will have 2 extra brackets to keep the cables off of the exhaust pipes.
The hood bracing will be cut and removed so the hood will shut with the air cleaners on.

Those are just a few that are easy to recognize.
here is a pic when i had the max in it my car

500.jpg

it was a dodge owner was asking 15g add was up 1 day then taken off either the car was sold or he was imformed of a realistic price

I watch for anything for a 62 Dart. Especially the 413 Max Wedge stuff.
Depending on condition and what parts were included, $15k isn't a bad price. A 2 door post car would bring more money than a 2 door hardtop. They had 4 door Max Wedge cars but I haven't seen one.
I know of several cars that could be bought and one that can't be bought.
From a high end restored Dart hard top to an unrestored near perfect post car and a few in between.
Every once in a while an unknown 62 Dart will pop up. One was listed last week for sale but was a 6 cylinder car with a 413 in it. I think the buyer was disappointed. It was a cool car but not a factory 413 MW car.

Auto Transport Service
Back