• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Only

My pair, the white Fury and the black Savoy

FB_IMG_1506550801102.jpg car1.jpg

Some here are looking for Canadian 1962 models. Here is my Fury with Dodge Dart 500 trim,
Dodge dash instrument cluster and I believe Dodge interior badging! I love the 1962 Fury, but I prefer the Canadian version with the more delicate stainless trin!

IMG_0047.JPG

Some here are looking for Canadian 1962 models. Here is my Fury with Dodge Dart 500 trim,
Dodge dash instrument cluster and I believe Dodge interior badging! I love the 1962 Fury, but I prefer the Canadian version with the more delicate stainless trin!

View attachment 537189

I’m Canadian and I didn’t know we had different models? I thought that was just a Pontiac thing. Cool to know. What’s different ?

The previous owner had this car in Washington State for a visit and the Mopar guys down there were taken aback! I'm not sure how these changes were decided. Was Chrysler Canada making these change decisions or were these made by Ma Mopar in the USA? Maybe someone on the forum can help?

View attachment 537189

And the Plodge trend continued on.....Dodge trim on Plymouth bodies has been a method of marketing in Canada and overseas since early in Mopar history. Not to insult or deny the Plymouth models but in my eye the Dodge always got a bit of the upper end in trim and styling cues.

I’m Canadian and I didn’t know we had different models? I thought that was just a Pontiac thing. Cool to know. What’s different ?
I think as far as engine options the Fury Golden Commando in Canada was a 361 and in the US it was a 383. Aside from the Max Wedge you could also get a 413 witn 2 4 barrels in a line. I don't know how many they made or if they were available in Canada. There is information on Haggerty of 4 differs horsepower ratings for the 413 so I wondered if there was a 413 single 4 barrel offered.
As far as stainless and chrome trim levels, these are confusing beacause due to poor sales some trim was upgraded in 62 1/2. I'm sure some members know a lot more than I, so please help out before I spread any more bad information!

I think as far as engine options the Fury Golden Commando in Canada was a 361 and in the US it was a 383. Aside from the Max Wedge you could also get a 413 witn 2 4 barrels in a line. I don't know how many they made or if they were available in Canada. There is information on Haggerty of 4 differs horsepower ratings for the 413 so I wondered if there was a 413 single 4 barrel offered.
As far as stainless and chrome trim levels, these are confusing beacause due to poor sales some trim was upgraded in 62 1/2. I'm sure some members know a lot more than I, so please help out before I spread any more bad information!

There's no documentation that the '62 came with a 413 with two inline fours. Cross Ram, Max Wedge, yes.

There has been several 62's out there that have a 413 with two inline fours. Member @62 Dart Convertible has one, and there was another I remember that was a Plymouth. We're thinking it could have been a special Dealer install of some kind. No paper trail as of today.

Last edited:
I saw the real thing sell at Barrett Jackson (413 with 2-4 barrels in line) If you look it up Barrett Jackson had a write up on these cars. Chrysler built these mid 1962 to promote a sleeper type car. All the car were offered in bland colors basically and Chrysler tried to get each dealer to take 1 car. It wasn't a successful program. I could find the article with a little time.

I saw the real thing sell at Barrett Jackson (413 with 2-4 barrels in line) If you look it up Barrett Jackson had a write up on these cars. Chrysler built these mid 1962 to promote a sleeper type car. All the car were offered in bland colors basically and Chrysler tried to get each dealer to take 1 car. It wasn't a successful program. I could find the article with a little time.

We have been looking for documentation on this for years. These cars look like they came from the factory with these engines. Would like to see the proof. I've always wanted to talk to someone who worked in the plant or dealership back then and could verify what took place. I like what you're saying.

That 2X4 setup was on 413 letter series cars in 62 so I could believe they could be on b bodies.

IMG_1980.PNG
This is the Barrett Jackson listing. Certainly doesn't make it true but I have seen it in other Mopar literature. If you google 1962 plymouth 413 Barrett Jackson you can see the one I saw there. One ugly car!

I figured it was a matter of time before another one would surface and have more detail of what took place. Looks like a Factory Deal to me.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1962-PLYMOUTH-FURY-2-DOOR-HARDTOP-44407
44407_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
44407_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
44407_Engine_Web.jpg
44407_Interior_Web.jpg

Lot #393 - According to some Chrysler historians and factory racers, Chrysler Exec's Tom Coddington and Tom Hoover (The Team Responsible for the 426) wanted to introduce a performance motor with 2 inline 4 bbls in a smaller car. It would use the same high nickel block as the "Max Wedge" but be more streetable, as told by people involved at the time. The Chrysler reps. were encouraging some of their dealers to special order a few of these motors in a few select cars in 1962. It's believed that fewer than 50 of the cars were actually built and were actually pulled from the assembly line for the special motor install. Since this was a special motor configuration and not part of the normal factory offerings, the build card for this car states "NA (not available)" where normally the engine is listed. Like the later 1968 race Hemi cars, these cars were built from cars that were pulled from the assembly line before the drive trains were installed and do not correspond with their fendertags. It is also told that these Reps were encouraging unusual color combinations for these cars and this one is a beautiful 2 tone. While Plymouths built prior to 1965 have very few records the Chrysler Historical Society was able to find the "build card" on this car and it does indeed show "NA" for the engine (a copy of the card is included with vehicle). This is a rare find with 27,000 actual miles.

Last edited:
Now this one was on there also. I thought it was the one you were talking about but I noticed it was a different lot number.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1962-PLYMOUTH-FURY-211039

It states that it has been upgraded to a 413. Also states it was in the same family till 1989 and has all the title documents. Even won awards. I'm thinking the 413 was installed by a previous owner.

You notice both cars have tubular headers...

Edit Now something is fishy here. They appear to be the same car! Same vin number on both adds. I was trying to determine the date of the sale but it looks like the same date on both. :realcrazy:

Definitely there has been some work done between the two listings. The amount that they sold for went up quite a bit too.

Last edited:
Now this one was on there also. I thought it was the one you were talking about but I noticed it was a different lot number.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1962-PLYMOUTH-FURY-211039

It states that it has been upgraded to a 413. Also states it was in the same family till 1989 and has all the title documents. Even won awards. I'm thinking the 413 was installed by a previous owner.

You notice both cars have tubular headers...

Edit Now something is fishy here. They appear to be the same car! Same vin number on both adds. I was trying to determine the date of the sale but it looks like the same date on both. :realcrazy:

Definitely there has been some work done between the two listings. The amount that they sold for went up quite a bit too.[/QUOT

Interesting that Canadian 62 Plymouths got Dodge Dart dash and trim - as here in Australia, Chrysler imported the 1962 "Dodge Phoenix", which was a 4 door Dart but with Plymouth dash and trim - another variety of Plodge. Does anybody know if UK or South Africa imported RH drive 1962 models?

Here is my take on the factory dual-inline quad engine availability in 1962 (that sounds a little like Mythbusters)
The 300H engine in '62 B-Body as a factory option has been discussed here many times. IMO, official recognition as an available option would be proved by factory option codes, a build sheet, factory documentation, advertising material etc. any of which I have never seen. There was a road test done in March 1962 by Car Life on a 1962 Dart 330 2dr hardtop (that I have uploaded here on several occasions) that claimed "413 engines with 365, 385 or 410 bhp are available as regular production options".
Definitive proof that Chrysler produced them? Maybe, maybe not. We all know Chrysler produced lots of specials that were not officially available, and that dealers too could fit all sorts of "factory authorised speed equipment". Then there is lots of anecdotal evidence and stories of them from the day.
My conclusion is that it's possible that some factory cars may have been built this way, perhaps as experimentals or as special orders by customers with some "sway".
The nay sayers will say that because there is no official documentation of such a model, then they were never produced.

Actually I think the price went down by half. Was it not about $40,000 in 2007 the year I was there, and just over $20,000 in 2017? If this car was upgraded at the dealer with a 413 someone paid way to much! Maybe if we wait 10 more years it will be worth less. Would not surprise me! It appears if there is "the real thing" this is probably not it!

According to NHRA the Dodge only was avail with the inline 413, they were rated at 385 or 394, the 394 version had the J heads and 1.74 exhaust valve like the inline 383. They were supposed dealer installed for racing and police work. I have a set of the 3258 and 3259 carbs which show 62 Dodge when specs are found. I have both the low and raised block manis and did quite a bit of testing on the street and strip back in the 80s and 90s.

Auto Transport Service
Back