• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 Polara 500 radiator electric fan clearance problem

62maxx

Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
Greetings, everyone

I have a Champion radiator on my 62. I bought a Champion aluminum fan shroud to fit the radiator and then eventually drill holes for a 16" electric fan to assemble to it. I removed the fan blade from the water pump bolts and put the bolts back into the water pump/alternator pulley. Before I did anything else, it "visually" looked real tight in the clearance space, so I just placed the fan onto the radiator WITHOUT the shroud and sure as SH**, there is NO ROOM whatsoever! Am I missing something here? I searched for Mopar car pics with electric fan setups and can't find any. Any help/suggestions would be so great! Is my ONLY option to put the fan on the FRONT of the radiator with NO shroud?

THANKS in advance!

fan clearance1.jpg fan clearance 3.jpg 62 rad fan1.jpg

Welcome to the club.
Fan on front here.

First thing I see wrong is the fan itself. That fan is to small and is not pulling air through all the radiator fin tubes. The radiator also looks to be very thick. A low profile fan with shroud that covers all the fin tubes may work. I also would ditch that flex fan.

Last edited:
First thing I see wrong is the fan itself. That fan is to small and is not pulling air through all the radiator fin tubes. The radiator also looks to be very thick. A low profile fan with shroud that covers all the fin tubes my work. I also would ditch that flex fan.
Would you know of a low profile fan with a part number that would fit with a shroud for a 1971/383 engine?
Thanks!

try 2 smaller fans, maybe that will work , it did on my griffan radiator

try 2 smaller fans, maybe that will work , it did on my griffan radiator
Yep, I have seen two and four fan configurations, but the shroud was certainly custom made.
My 62 440 uses a Cordoba big block high efficiency 26" copper radiator (probably thinner than yours) a modified Cordoba shroud, and a 17" (might be18) flex fan (no clutch, the clutch eats room!). I run a 14" pusher in front for between rounds cooling. It isn't necessary driving around.

Yep, I have seen two and four fan configurations, but the shroud was certainly custom made.
My 62 440 uses a Cordoba big block high efficiency 26" copper radiator (probably thinner than yours) a modified Cordoba shroud, and a 17" (might be18) flex fan (no clutch, the clutch eats room!). I run a 14" pusher in front for between rounds cooling. It isn't necessary driving around.
THANKS!

Auto Transport Service
Back