• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 Savoy Harsh Ride Quality

69plywgn

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
I have a '62 Savoy Suburban that was converted from a slant six, three speed to a 440, four speed. The original K-frame and torsion bars were replaced. The stock front suspension was rebuilt with rubber bushings and it's had an alignment.

I've been driving it for a few years, but haven't been satisfied with the ride quality. Most "imperfections" in the road travel through the front suspension to the steering wheel. I've been experimenting with different front shocks, front tires, tire pressures, weight in the back, etc., all with no improvement.

I had a knowledgeable Mopar mechanic look at it recently and he said the left torsion bar was installed backwards (180* out). Looking from the rear, the left torsion bar is stamped "777", "UDL" and has no "straight slot" (index). The right torsion bar is stamped "471", "R" and has a "straight slot" (index). I mic'd the bars and they are .89" diameter (.90"?).

1) Is it possible to install a torsion bar backwards?
2) If so, is this the cause of my poor ride quality? In other words, are the torsion bars "fighting" each other?

Thanks in advance for your input.

1) Doesn’t matter front to back They can go either way. Left and right is important on stock bars.

2) no they are in the correct sides from what you tell us. They will not fight each other, they will break if on wrong side.

are you sure it’s rubber front suspension bushings?

what diameter wheels do you have? And tire size? 17” 18” Rubber band tires can do this.

R413: Without an "L" stamped on the rear of the left bar, how do I know it's correct? Shouldn't the left bar be installed the same as the right bar, so you can see the stamped "L" and ensure that it's indexed (straight slot) the same as the right?

Yes, the front suspension bushings are rubber. It has 15"x7" steel wheels and Cooper 225/70R/15 front and 275/60R/15 rear.

What shocks are you running? If they are KYB's you've found your problem...

Again, you cannot install them backwards it does not matter front to back or back to front. It is the same thing either direction. Put a line down a piece of paper and twist it . Twist goes the same either way front to back. But. Left and right bars twist In opposite directions.

One bar says R and it’s on the right side. The other is 777 And it’s I n the left side of your car and the odd number goes on the left. So they are in the correct sides.

If you don’t believe it take them out and move them around, it won’t make ANY difference.

there is no indexing, They have six sides and they can go in any way you want.

How much tire pressure do you run? What is the max on the side of the tire.

I currently have Comp. Eng. 3-way adjustable shocks on the front (adj. to 60/40). I started with oil-type shocks, tried Monroe gas, then Gabriel gas. I've had KYB's on other cars and won't use them again.

I understand the odd number goes on the left and the even number goes on the right. The right is stamped "R", but has an odd number "471." What do the numbers "777" and "471" signify?

As for tire pressures, I've tried from 25 to 32 lbs.

I currently have Comp. Eng. 3-way adjustable shocks on the front (adj. to 60/40). I started with oil-type shocks, tried Monroe gas, then Gabriel gas. I've had KYB's on other cars and won't use them again.

I understand the odd number goes on the left and the even number goes on the right. The right is stamped "R"

One more piece of info.: When I push down (jounce) on the radiator shroud, there's a very little (stiff) rebound.

777 is the last 3 digits of the part number. The other bar probably has 776 on the other end. The 471 is the date code. 47th week of 71. The other end of the 777 bar would have a date code as well. From the factory both bars were installed with the part numbers at the back, but as stated, it does not matter.

You mention Cooper tires are on it now and that you have experimented with others. What were they? Any change?

Steel radial tires will transmit a lot more road noise and vibration into the cabin and through the steering wheel than the old bias tires did when your car was new. Changing tire brands can make a big difference too.

It's a 62 Savoy what do you expect. I have a 63 Savoy, leaning tower of power, more door, daily driver. The car is 99% stock original. The only modifications (parts that are not original) are brake shoes, exhaust, muffler, battery and tires. I only run 14" bias tires. My old ladies 2017 Chevy has a harsher ride IMHO.

It has General Altimax 225/70R/15 on the front now. I thought I'd try those because they had a ride quality rating of 8. I haven't changed the rear tires. I thought of trying B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A because they offer the same sizes as the Coopers, but experimenting with different tires can be cost prohibitive and the end result may not be an improvement.

It's a 62 Savoy what do you expect.

With all new suspension, I expected (maybe mistakenly) better ride quality. I have 600+ lbs. sitting on the nose with the 440. I could've left the slant six in it. So, it's just '62 technology and I should get over it?

Looking at the Altimax I see a treadwear number over 600, that makes me wonder if they'll be hard and noisy. Long life tires come with a cost. I'm thinking the T/As would possibly give you a smoother ride than the Coopers. Do you have any Mopar friends close by with some mounted sets of tires you could try?

I've seen a lot of classic cars with the T/A tires. Are they just going for "the look" vs ride quality? If I purchased a set, I would mount them black wall out, so "the look" wouldn't be a concern. I'll check their ratings on Tire Rack.

• Tire Rack rates the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T at 9.2 for comfort and the Goodrich Radial T/A at 8.6.

Those numbers aren't that far apart. I'm sure many members here could give you a good assessment of the T/As and ride quality.

I've run a few sets of the Coopers, I liked them, but don't get behind rotating them. I haven't tried T/As on my '67 so I can't directly compare, but I've never heard any complaints from the owners of cars I've ridden in that ran them.

Auto Transport Service
Back