• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'62 Savoy Transmission tunnel clearance

66/440

Local time
4:59 PM
Reaction score
I plan on using a '69 K frame in my Savoy and am thinking about firewall and transmission tunnel clearances when using a transmission shield and or blanket. I know I need to trim the pinch weld on the firewall but am thinking it would also be a good time to raise the tunnel to make room for a trans shield or a blanket. Anyone else done this or had similar experience? Trying to decide just how much clearance I need and how much of the pinchweld I need to remove from the firewall. Or is it best to remove it all for a cleaner look?

You will need to either raise or clearance the tunnel. The 69 k-member moves the motor back almost 2". It also straightens it out. Did it on a 63 Dodge.

I wouldn't trim it, you'll cut the pinch welds. I'd fold it over with a BFH. MO. Took a tracing of 66 motor mounts and made new ones. Cut off mounts off my 65 Dodge and fit the 66 mounts to the 65. Used a blow shield needed some tunnel work.

You will need to either raise or clearance the tunnel. The 69 k-member moves the motor back almost 2". It also straightens it out. Did it on a 63 Dodge.
Don't forget it moves the trans mount back. Also I you are going crossram the firewall will need a little massage to clear. But you will gain more room for the fan and radiator.

Don't forget it moves the trans mount back. Also I you are going crossram the firewall will need a little massage to clear. But you will gain more room for the fan and radiator.
I wouldn't build another early B body racecar without cutting and enlarging the tunnel. For that matter cutting the K-frame is a must as well.
Doug

I wouldn't build another early B body racecar without cutting and enlarging the tunnel. For that matter cutting the K-frame is a must as well.
Doug
Are you talking about trimming the K frame for oil pan clearance? I have already reinforced the steering box mount and trimmed for Oil Pan clearance. Is there something else I need to consider?

I do plan on running a crossram with FiTech units. Where does the firewall need work? Any photos? Thanks!

Put a bottle jack against the K-frame Use a 2x4 across the fire wall with a another 2x4 placed between the. Jack slowly the firewall will move back. It may change the shape slightly work slow.
Doug

With the exception of a race car, this conversion may be more trouble than it's worth.

I made engine mounts traced from a 66 k frame. Mocked it up so there was a 1/2" before welding in mounts, set back was 1.5". Don't know if a max wedge will even be further back but think so. MO you only need to modify pass side? You won't be able to access bellhousing bolts from top.
dode pss side eng.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't trim it, you'll cut the pinch welds. I'd fold it over with a BFH.

That's what I've done and if you look closely at the shape of the tunnel you'll find that it has "bumps" to clear the servos on the 727 case. Just massage those with a BFH too.

Put a bottle jack against the K-frame Use a 2x4 across the fire wall with a another 2x4 placed between the. Jack slowly the firewall will move back. It may change the shape slightly work slow.
Doug
DVW, I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Auto Transport Service
Back