• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"64" 426 wedge

coronet66

Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a 426 wedge motor is worth building, compared to 400 or 440. I'm looking to build an engine for my 66 coronet and new to the mopar group.I don't know much about motors but do want a pavement pounder! Also if anyone knows someone close to maryland who builds mopar motors, please let me know?

I hear the pistons are expensive. So the 426 wedge might be more expensive too build. Just like anything else it depends on how much you want to spend. The 426 might be worth alot to someone who is restoring a 426 car so you might be able to sell or do some swapping that might work in your favor. 440's came with more HP from the factory. A HP 67-71 440 Came with 375hp vs.365hp with the 426's. You might want to decode the numbers on the motor. It could be a max wedge motor which is worth more $.

Go with a 440!They are more plentiful,pistons are easier to get also.

A 426 would be worth the money for someone who's looking for a numbers matching car. Also the block, if original, is worth lots of money to racers running in that class that needs original 426 motors. I don't know how close you want a builder to be to your place but you do have Ray Barton in Robesonia in SE PA. I had my max wedge (using a '68 440 block) built by Carl Ruth located in Reading, PA.

motor01001.jpg

So many options, It's hard to decide. It sounds like the 440 is the best way to go.I just hope there isn't to many mods I would have to do to the car. I'm not to far from PA, thanks for the info. Nice motor and car!

440 is the easy way out and is a direct replacement for the 426W.

pistons are the issue. there aren't any good shelf pistons. to build a good pump gas quench engine custom pistons are a must. buying custom pistons isn't hard to do but for the guy who doesn't understand the terminology and can't measure his stuff up its a hassle. shelf street pistons for a 440 are half the price of customs and you can get a configuration for any combustion chamber.

there's a motor on e-bay for sale. heard alot of good things about em and was wondering if it would be worth it to build for my car. 66 coronet. The more I think about it I may just get a Hemi!

As was said its cheaper to build the 440 because many places stock the parts but not for the 426. I used a 440 block and went with a 440Source stroker kit which worked good for me. The 426 can be built and stroked but it will be more work and money then just getting a 440 block. Good luck to you. Ron

383MAN, are u at 75 & 80? Thats a sweet lookin ride, luv that year! I'm from the olney area, where u located?

I have not been to 75-80 since about 1980. I usually race at Cecil since I drive to the track and my brother lives a few miles from Cecil. I figure if I break I can tow it to his house. Thanks for the kind words. Ron

362705709.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back