• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 8 3/4 useage?

YY1

Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
Let me put this in it's own thread...

I'm thinking about picking up a 64 Fury parts car.

Can the "tapered axle" style housing be converted into a standard flange housing?
I'm not at all familliar with pre-'66 axles (I'm mainly a 66/67 guy), but I just read that the 64 chunk is the same as later ones (post 63).
I'm trying to determine if I should factor in a value for the axle housing, or assume it's worth "0" because no one wants one, or it can't be converted.

Thanks much.

You can convert them, or cut off the ends weld on new ones and get axles. Or just use the rearend as is and move on.

There is really no reason to spend the time and effort to convert a tapered axle rear. Most people simply swap them out for a later model. However, there is NOTHING wrong with them. They are strong as hell and just as trouble free as any of the later 60's axles. If you convert the brake drums to the slip on units they're just about as easy to service too. Now, if you're going racing and will be messing with the gearing all the time then you would want a later unit so you don't have to use the special puller to get the hubs off. But overall, the tapered axle units are strong and trouble free for street/strip use. Below is a wiki article on how to convert the drums to slip on units.

Mopar_tapered_axle_rear_brake conversion

Let me put this in it's own thread...

I'm thinking about picking up a 64 Fury parts car.

Can the "tapered axle" style housing be converted into a standard flange housing?
I'm not at all familliar with pre-'66 axles (I'm mainly a 66/67 guy), but I just read that the 64 chunk is the same as later ones (post 63).
I'm trying to determine if I should factor in a value for the axle housing, or assume it's worth "0" because no one wants one, or it can't be converted.

Thanks much.

You can convert the axle over by using new brake assemblies as well as new non-tapered axle shafts for a cost of around 600 dollars. There is a guy over on moparts goes by the name of docdifferiential who sells all new parts to do it. Or just get a 65-67 housing and change it out to the newer housing.

There is really no reason to spend the time and effort to convert a tapered axle rear. Most people simply swap them out for a later model. However, there is NOTHING wrong with them. They are strong as hell and just as trouble free as any of the later 60's axles. If you convert the brake drums to the slip on units they're just about as easy to service too. Now, if you're going racing and will be messing with the gearing all the time then you would want a later unit so you don't have to use the special puller to get the hubs off. But overall, the tapered axle units are strong and trouble free for street/strip use. Below is a wiki article on how to convert the drums to slip on units.

Mopar_tapered_axle_rear_brake conversion

X2. If the gear ratio is what you want, pull the drums off using the correct puller. Turn the drums if they are in good shape. Install new shoes & hardware. Put it back together and forget it. Should be good for at least 50k mi on the street.

The reason I'm asking is that I already have an extra set of backing plates and brake hardware and both axle shafts for a 66 Charger. I'f I can use those, great.

I've also seen/read lots of posts about people swapping the pressed drum/bearing axles for later ones.

I'm thinking about buying a burnt 64 Fury for parts to sell (so it won't go to the scrapper), and If I can net a "standard" axle setup to keep, then that's more incentive for me to buy it.

Auto Transport Service
Back