• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Belvedere transmission and 1989 360

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
My wife's 65 Belvedere II wagon is needing more than I planned for. I've been on it for the past few years but I don't see it getting done to her liking for awhile. We decided to buy another wagon (67 Fury III) in much better condition.

Anyway, I figure I'm just going to make the Belvedere wagon into a fun ratty gasser type for me to putt around in. I'm going to pull the tired 273 and drop in a 1989 360. I know about the external balancing. My question is, can I convert the column shift to a B&M type cable floor shift? I believe the 65s had an odd type of shifting mechanism.

My other question is about the 89 360. Is that still pretty much like the older 360s or is it more like the later Magnums? I'm not sure because I'm taking bolts off with metric wrenches.

SHarons wagon.jpg

It’s still the old style LA engine that may have a roller cam and decent heads.. Magnums flow more but personally I like the shaft type rockers, I have both engines. Both are great, heads are both known for cracks between the seats but otherwise rock solid.

The OEM shift mechanism uses 2 cables. I know of no aftermarket shifter with 2 cables but, maybe someone did back in the day? The 1965 column shifter was a 1 year only design. Not too hard to pull column and refurbish if the boot is good.
Mike

Attachments

• Column shifter#1.pdf
    950.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Column shifter#2.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 68
The OEM shift mechanism uses 2 cables. I know of no aftermarket shifter with 2 cables but, maybe someone did back in the day? The 1965 column shifter was a 1 year only design. Not too hard to pull column and refurbish if the boot is good.
Mike
There's nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to go with a floor shifter.

I'm assuming it's a 727. Use a 1964 factory floor shifter and cables. To allow a modern converter (67 and up non lock up) the input shaft and front pump needs to be swapped into the trans with 67-70 parts. Use the Jegs 601087 flex plate to keep the engine properly balanced. Your engine is a LA, not a Magnum.
Doug

Will a 66 poly 318 Charger tranny bolt in?

The converter pilot for that trans is smaller. 66 still has the early spline count in the transmission You need a small spacer, it's described in different literature, like Tom Condran's book called "Mad about Mopars". He calls it an adapter ring. To match any pre '68 LA engine to a later year tranny you need this. It's a simple sleeve with outside diameter of 1.81" and inside diameter of 1.55", half an inch thick. They used to be available direct from Chrysler, but not anymore. Apparerently Wildcat Wrecking had them available. 503-668-7786 www.wildcatmopars.com2-66).
Doug

How about a 70s tranny? I can get one cheap from a local scrapyard that I know. I have other projects and just want to bolt it in and go.

Yes, if you use and aftermarket shifter. Use the converter that came with your 360.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back