• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'65 Satellite Rocker Panel Rust Fix

65PlymSatellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Hello All.

Gonna start the task of fixing all the rust on my '65 Satellite. Got rust in Firewall, Cowl, under the Rear Quarters, and the rocker panels. Those are all the spots that I know of so far. Going to start in on the Driver side rocker first. Just wanted to see if y'all got any tips or tricks for me here. Going to be MIG welding with a Lincoln 210 MP. I actually work at Airgas, so I know my way around welding (as much as I need to for this project anyway). Again, just wanted some tips and tricks from anyone who's done this before. Anything I should look out for? Is it as simple as cutting out the rot and welding in my new sheet metal? Anything I should do while I'm in there?
Thanks again guys.

IMG_8827.jpeg
IMG_8828.jpeg
IMG_8829.jpeg

If you want /need a few rocker sections.. we have some that could be used for patching, good western metal off a 65 Coronet. Note: We will be out of town for a week or so, with limited Internet access, but just start a conversation, if its something you may be interested in. @ Dodge33

That is actually part of the 1/4 panel. I made my own sections. Rolled the sheet metal around a 10" piece of PVC pipe. Copy the outline on the bottom where it spot welds to the inner rocker. Then weld it in.
Doug

B40.jpg

B41.jpg

B33.jpg
B50.jpg

Last edited:
Looks gorgeous Doug! Thanks for the tips and pics!!! It's all 18 gauge, right? How's your cowl and firewall?
Cut the left upper cowl off. Fabbed a new lower. Reinstalled the old upper.
We swapped an entire cowl with a rust free part on my buddys 64. With the windshield, fenders, hood, and motor out it was pretty easy.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back