• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

650+hp stroker from a 400 block

Your buddy needs to put that thing on a diet!! I took 400 lbs off of mine and only purchased a fiberglass hood....the rest was done by removing undercoating and making other parts lighter. There's a thread on here (can't remember the name of it) about taking weight off. Heavy cars robs horsepower.....

Yes he's already lost 90lbs by taking the street seats out and putting in race types. Its all steel currently so lots to come off but he's not going to ruin a nice stock bodied car, reckon he could get it down to around 3600@line with some work, perhaps less, haven't weighed it yet, thats next. The c/tracs prob saved some as well. Its in hand.

Yes he's already lost 90lbs by taking the street seats out and putting in race types. Its all steel currently so lots to come off but he's not going to ruin a nice stock bodied car, reckon he could get it down to around 3600@line with some work, perhaps less, haven't weighed it yet, thats next. The c/tracs prob saved some as well. Its in hand.
One of the things I took out of a Challenger I used to have were the door side impact protection rails. You have to drill the spot welds to do that but the holes can be welded up and made to look close to factory. Lots of work to pull off weight and time consuming.

Yep thats one of things he mentioned last time@the track, he's quite clued up on things, just got to get some of that street mentality out of the head without going to a full race motor and he'll be there. Next will come the converter discussion.

It seems to me you can make a Domiatorwork on the street. Back in the day there were 4.56 gears that fit the 3.0 carrier. Not common though.

I was amazed by the weight of the side impact door beams. Over 40# per door.
The ones I took out were in a later model.....73 iirc and they were 25 lbs each. Still not very light!

Agreed on the carb, the thought of driving a Dom on the street does not work for most, to me its no problem, he has 1.6 rockers now, they'll probably sell with the whole 440 motor, I don't know, but if he bought some HS 1.6 rckrs and a 660 he would [email protected] less lash, whats the point of spending 4k£'s on them and not getting all the benefit from them with a baby cam, but its not my money.

Unfortunately he was talking about going milder on the cam, I'm not the one thats going to drive it on the street some but I tried to tell him no on that, don't go soft on cam choice. Yes there are 2 carriers, 3.54>4.10 and 4.56>7 something I believe?, don't know which he has but it has 4.56 gears currently, not up on the change over and what that entails exactly and how much?...he got the axle for a good price at least, maybe thats why?, to sum it up really its always a compromise when the word street comes into it, I hope he doesn't go down that road too far.

A properly built and prepped dominator will drive around as good as any 4150 carb on a healthy enough engine in a decently set up car. I’ve built a few that I tested on my roadrunner and they were spectacular street carbs. You’ll need a different carrier for the rear end. 4.10 is 3 series.

A properly built and prepped dominator will drive around as good as any 4150 carb on a healthy enough engine in a decently set up car. I’ve built a few that I tested on my roadrunner and they were spectacular street carbs. You’ll need a different carrier for the rear end. 4.10 is 3 series.
I agree 100% about the dominator on the street, can't see any chance of that happening, you never know though. I bought Thumpers 1050-ish BLP Dominator carb for my mates mild 589ci RR to try, thats a street/strip car, sold it to another racer in the end, waste of time, most can't get away from the street mentality. I drove around with an 850DP on my stockish 340 moons ago and a 1050 as well for a while.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back