• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas on new motor or stay with stock stroke

No one I’ve dealt with who built a stroker has ever said to me, “I really wish I had kept the stock stroke”.
But I have had people who stayed stock stroke tell me the opposite.

Your friend will either build the stroker........ or wish he had.

Ok so its a 512 source kit, his Eddy heads, should be around 11:1, a proper converter, a s/roller in the .650's and he has a 950XP which needs sorting which ran .3 10ths slower than his sorted 830DP when tried first time. Tried to persuade him to sell it and put the money towards a Thumper 1050-ish 4150 billet but its an extra £12>1400 shipped. I don't know of hardly any performance wedge motor that won't run faster with a big carb, I went almost 2 10ths faster back in the day by going from a 750DP to an 850DP and that was on a stock-ish 340 with stock 2.02 heads, inlet/hdrs, the usual and a .484/.284 with a lowly 3500 stall verter at the time.
Anyhow, I reckon somewhere in the 620+hp range which in his 3700 should get him his 10.50's.....job done...we'll see. The motor will see a dyno but thats some way off yet.

To PRHeads (Dwayne), if you've dyno'd anything similar to what I've described please say what your results were out of interest....thanks

Last edited:
I'm happy with the decision to stay with stock stroke but I'm in the minority of preferring higher rpm power to low rpm torque.

Not that you can't make high rpm power with more cubes, you just need more cam and cylinder head to support it.

Most of the Ede headed strokers I’ve tested were milder combos than what you’re building.
I did build one that was a dedicated bracket race piece though.
493, stage 2 ported RPM’s, Victor with mild plenum mods, easy on parts .645 roller, 1.5 rockers, but the big difference was this one had 14:1cr.
Made 660hp using the customers AED HO750 carb.
Went 10.20’s-30’s in a 3650lb 65 Belvedere with cal-tracs and 4.10’s.

As for the XP950, I think if you check out the carb forums you’ll find that main body leaves something to be desired.
Probably a good candidate to unload, or......swap in a BLP main body.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the decision to stay with stock stroke but I'm in the minority of preferring higher rpm power to low rpm torque.

Not that you can't make high rpm power with more cubes, you just need more cam and cylinder head to support it.
Agreed, big cube motors ARE good, but I had fun running 10.50s with a 383/indy -1

For 30 years I ran the 440 or 400/452 motors. 7000 RPM plus. The LY rods or the low deck rods lived fine, but they were shot peened and top quality rod bolts.
Big motors do have their advantages, You would be happy at 500.

Auto Transport Service
Back